• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it a good idea to pull a lever in a dungeon?

Should you pull a lever you find in a dungeon?

• Yes. There is no reason to believe the lever is dangerous.

Votes: 114 55.3%
  • No. The lever will probably make something bad happen, or is trapped.

Votes: 92 44.7%

• Poll closed .

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Levers are almost always trapped.

When you pull it, you do so only if you have to.
And when you have to, you either summon a monster to pull it or you have the PC whose player didn't show up pull it.

If you're playing in Tomb of Horrors, just pull it. That way your torture is over quicker.

Cadfan

First Post
I voted yes.

Presumably this dungeon is populated with creatures who have something better to do with their time than to create levers that explode when pulled, all on the off chance that some day an adventurer might come, slaughter them all, then pull the shiny lever and explode.

If the creatures in this dungeon have nothing better to do than this, my character might as well explode anyways.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
You are in a dungeon. You find a lever. You do not know what the lever does. Is it a good idea to pull the lever?
With no other factors present. . . then NO. That is class-A stupid.

So let me make that: not unless my character is terminally daft, anyway.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
In the absence of any thing more interesting to do: YES! Pull the lever!

Your DM has put it in there for a reason: to be pulled. Whatever happens, it's better than not doing anything!

Cheers!

Victim

First Post
The lever could either unleash horrible death or open access to some new area. Or both.

Really, there's not much need to make a decision with this information, unless there's some serious time pressure. Further exploration may reveal some barred areas which the lever may open. Checking for traps is another low cost way to hedge your bet.

Many monsters could use a source of fresh water in their lair. PC type foes in the dungeon would indicate that the banquet wouldn't be totally out of line. Sometimes the damsel in distress really is a damsel. It's not like you can't take a few precautions to minimize the danger in each case. And a modicum of professionalism means characters aren't likely to swimming around for fun, pigging out, or dating while on a quest or treasure extraction anyway.

If everything in the dungeon is bad, then why even go there? The treasure could be cursed items and those coin crawler monsters after all. Is an attitude of clinical paranoia really fun, and does cultivating such an attitude on the part of the GM make for a better game?

LostSoul

Adventurer
Raven Crowking said:
You are in a dungeon. You find a lever. You do not know what the lever does. Is it a good idea to pull the lever?

If you are talking to me, the player, being in a dungeon: no way.

If you are talking to the character I'm playing: no way.

If you are talking to me, as a player, playing the character in the game: sure, why not? It'll be fun to see what happens.

We have such sights to show you... if you'd just open the box pull the lever!
pinheadani.gif

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads