• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it a good idea to pull a lever in a dungeon?

Should you pull a lever you find in a dungeon?

• Yes. There is no reason to believe the lever is dangerous.

Votes: 114 55.3%
  • No. The lever will probably make something bad happen, or is trapped.

Votes: 92 44.7%

• Poll closed .

Sanackranib

First Post
its ALWAYS a good idea to pull the level. somthing is going to happen no matter what and at least this way you have a hand in your own destiny. :lol:

Abraxas

Explorer
I don't find it astounding that people would realize that the lever is something bad and still pull it.
I don't think this poll demonstrates that people realize that the lever is something bad - just that it may do something.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
AuraSeer said:
Occasionally it does make sense. Not all the time-- probably not even most of the time-- but every so often it fits.

AuraSeer, this is an excellent post and you make good points (I cut the rest in the quote because it was long). If there was a trap like any of those in your description, I would find it believable and interesting, unlike the kill-trap that is there for no reason in the other thread.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Actually, for the stereotypical D&D dungeon bash and its ilk, I suppose I'd go with "yes".

For anything like what I play/run and have played/run for a long time now, that would be the height of stupidity and worse (so "no"). In other words, the overall style I'm used to is something almost diametrically opposed to the 'kick in the door' mode of play.

I forgot to mention that before. It will put my previous post and my vote in context, I hope. And, maybe, the "yes" vote should be 1 higher. It just depends what was meant, and what was intended.

After all, roleplayers around the world most certainly *do not* all play the same kind of game, even when they're using the exact same books.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Do every non mysterious thing in the dungeon first.

Pull levers/push buttons in the same sequence that we came across them, after checking for traps, etc. If a new area is opened up (secret door opens/grates lift/water level drops/etc.) explore the new area completely before proceeding to the next lever/button.

If we are on a mission and accomplish the mission then leave the complex without messing with the stuff we do not have to mess with.

The Auld Grump

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Ao the Overkitty said:
It's boring if you don't pull the lever.
I agree.

As a DM, I would never place a lever, the sole purpose of which is killing whomever pulls it. No sane being would have such a thing in their lair, IMO. A lever will have a sane purpose. If that purpose is significant, the lever may be hidden and/or trapped. But in the end, pulling the lever will accomplish whatever sane purpose it was designed for.

Incidentally, I almost had my plans ruined once by a party that was on the verge of deciding not to pull the lever. I had set one up in a side room of an underground facility, expecting a PC to pull it. When they got to it, they debated for ten minutes or so and were on the verge of leaving it where it was, untouched, until at last one player got bored and pulled the lever, activating a machine that pulled him inside itself and replaced one of his arms with an Arm of Nyr.

I'd been plotting for weeks to finally get one of those things into a game of mine, and the PCs almost passed it up through their hesitation! :p

Jedi_Solo

First Post
Depends on the characer.
Depends on what has come before.
Depends on what we are there to do.

But all other things being equal:

Pull the lever I will.

This is a game. Let's have fun!

Remove ads