Is it wrong for a game to have an agenda?

Mr. Lobo

First Post
Crothian said:
Is it wrong for a game to have an agenda?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's say I wrtite a role playing game and while the game is there to have fun and for people to play it also serves as a way I can preach my love for Oozes and the equal treatment of them.. People who don't like oozes are routinely imprisoned in my setting and I make no qualms that I want to use the setting to get people to understand and treat oozes better both in game and real life.

No. It is not wrong for a game to have an agenda as long as I have the right to not purchase and/or play the game.

I appluad the fact that your are going to state your agenda up front. I can make a decision about using the product much sooner than wading through the game myself. Of course if you are really keen or I am not so bright I might not even realize you have an agenda - so I would stick to the addage "Let the buyer beware!" After all consumers have to take some responsibility for what they consume.

If I put forth a game with an intentional message I would be more concerned about getting biased negative feedback. Will there be TeeVee, radio, newspaper, homemade flyer ads that won't run because media outlets may not agree with the agenda? Negative feedback from reviewers who give a biased review against the game due to the agenda? And heaven forbid the world find out that you are promulgating this agenda through a game to selfishly make your life easier because you are one of the oozes in question!

If role playing is such a small niche hobby as is perpetuated in these NGs then it's probably not such a big deal in the big picture. But just look at the Jerry Springeresque episodes that exploded on these boards over other "controversial" role playing material. Now that's entertainment!

So, I answered the main question straight up. I don't know if the commentary was something you were looking for or not.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Remove ads