• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Is Mike Mearls still in WotC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staffan

Legend
I haven't heard anything from him in years and I was wandering if he works still in WotC.
There was a controversy a few years ago that lead to him being removed from public-facing positions. Last I heard he has a position in the Magic department these days.
As I understood the situation, it was a result of naïvete on Mearls' part. A relatively high-profile person with a peripheral consulting role on 5e was accused of various things, and Mearls forwarded those accusations to the person in question asking what was up with that, which then exposed the accuser to retaliation from the accused.

wedgeski

Adventurer
According to his Twitter he is "D&D franchise creative director". That said it seems he hasn't tweeted anything for a couple of years and wikipedia reckons he isn't part of the D&D team any more.

OakenHart

Adventurer
As I understood the situation, it was a result of naïvete on Mearls' part. A relatively high-profile person with a peripheral consulting role on 5e was accused of various things, and Mearls forwarded those accusations to the person in question asking what was up with that, which then exposed the accuser to retaliation from the accused.

As far as I'm aware just on the specific point about forwarding names, there has been no proof that Mearls ever forwarded names to the accused. Whenever it was previously asked on how it is known that this is what happened, people would link other tweets that made the accusation.

If that has changed, I'd be happy to update my post with the new information, but this is what the case has been last I've seen about a year ago.

Mearls certainly messed up in other respects, however.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Last I heard he has a position in the Magic department these days.
There was a thread a couple of years ago about him being back on the D&D team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads