• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Is Pathfinder D & D?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
YES

Every edition of D&D is D&D. IMO, Pathfinder is another edition of D&D...just as all the retro-clones and most D20/OGL games are also editions of D&D.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I say, "I play D&D on Saturdays," so I guess that means PF is D&D, at least for now (I've only been playing a couple months at this point). It'll be interesting to see what I call it a year from now. :D

That said, I think "D&D" to my mind is really partway between an actual game and a gaming (sub?)genre. It'd be interesting to see what I'd call a Savage Worlds game in my head's "D&D genre". Or whether I'd draw a distinction between 4e Essentials games played with and without warlocks/dragonborn/tieflings of "Forgotten Kingdoms". Or a Micro20 sword & sorc or 'Vermin' game. Or a PF game heavy on the *shudder* alchemists and gunslingers.

Hmmm... Much experimention seems to be in order in the next few years! :D

KainG

Explorer
Yes. For me, this is just another edition of D&D, just as 4th ed. is another edition of D&D.

As someone who grew up with 2nd ed. AD&D, I considered 3rd & 3.5 to continue the same spirit of D&D with similar, yet modified/updated/changed rules. When Pathfinder and and 4th came along, I see the same spirit in both of them (albeit with different degrees between the two, and let's be honest, Paizo took the d20 rules, which were 3.5 D&D, and tweaked a lot about them, but essentially remained the same game).

concerro

Explorer
Ok, now before people start jumping up and down; I love Dungeons and Dragons. I am way old school (started in 1977). I was so glad to have found Pathfinder, as I couldn't play 4th Ed. Now, back to my question.

I have played every incarnation of D & D there is. And though my fellow local gamers jokingly call Pathfinder 'D & D 3.8', is it really? The feel isn't there imo. And no, thats not a bad thing, its just different. Before there were dungeon crawls, there was Gygax, etc. I don't know. And now with Pathfinder, which I love, its different. Maybe its like going from one D & D world house game to another.

I tried to explain to a fellow old school gamer who had just glanced at Pathfinder: its like if I Love Lucy comes on TV. I remember a lot of the older shows and loved them. Now I look back, and still love what I see, but compared to today's show, there is definitely a difference.

So I'm asking: is Pathfinder D & D? Or a real close copy. Or something else?
D&D means different things to different people. Some people never accepted 2nd or 3rd edition as D&D. I guess you have to define what D&D is to you in order to get an answer.

Agamon

Adventurer
For me, RPGs are like flowers.

They look different and smell different, but they're all nice, and would look good on the table.

And D&D is a rose...Pathfinder is another name for it, but it still smells as sweet.

Wow...I think I'm tired, lol.

HalfordAskold

First Post
For me, RPGs are like flowers.

They look different and smell different, but they're all nice, and would look good on the table.

And D&D is a rose...Pathfinder is another name for it, but it still smells as sweet.

Wow...I think I'm tired, lol.

Great way to put it. I am sure Shakespeare and Gygax would agree. Now wouldn't that be a group to play with!

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I prefer Pepsi to Coca Cola. When I order soda in a restaurant, I order a Coke, hoping to get Pepsi.

When I play D&D now, I am playing Pathfinder.

Here is how I know Pathfinder is D&D (not that I needed reassurance.) When I bought the Bestiary, to make it interesting I opened up the 1st edition MM, and read all of the Bestiary entries that were in AD&D MM1 first. Then I read the entries that were AD&D MM2, then AD&D Fiend Folio.

All of the Bestiary entries expanded on the (very limited) amount of fluff present in those earlier AD&D volumes.

EVERY time I run D&D I have included the AD&D DMG in the books I bring with me. In fact I often refer back to it, when creating fluff issues for my campaign. I STILL bring my AD&D DMG to run Dungeons and Dragons version: Pathfinder.

I love to drink coke, but the coke I drink is Pepsi. I still love D&D but the D&D I play is Pathfinder.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads