Is Ranged really better than Melee?

Satyrn

First Post
I know exactly what you mean and believe there is plenty of scope in the game for versatile characters who are not hard-out optimised, but good in a variety of circumstances.

Obviously there are some trade offs. The strongest ranged is with SS and clearly Archery style benefits that - both directly and via the need for more Superiority dice spent on Precision (if going that route). Yet I agree with taking Defense instead... it just means the ranged isn't so powerful. There's also a bit of fiddliness with switching weapons. I played an Eldritch Knight and I have to say, when it comes to switching to javelins, being able to drop a weapon and bonus action it back to hand later is neat!

Maybe Dual Wield longswords or battleaxes, going the Strength route? You need 15 for plate anyway, and the feat allows them. Carry a shield strapped to your back for tougher fights.

I should've actually explained why I'd play that character. By switching back and forth from melee to ranged (in between fights) I could test out which one is actually better. I think using a dex-based dwarf would do the trick for a couple reasons. My attack bonus would be the same whether I'm going ranged or melee is the big one, but I could also wear plate effectively even though I've dumped strength which will let me stand in the front rank and tank melee. (And I'd take the defense style spiritually because it works with both)

Maybe instead of two weapon fighting, though, I should go sword and board with a rapierand reflavor it as a a dwarven fencing axe; or a war pick.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The above comment makes me feel like you are not even reading my posts...

The answer is obvious. They have converged on your melee ally. Melee PC's don't kite.

Tell that to my Drunken Master Monk or my Swashbuckler Rogue. I love to smack archers or mages, then move away and either grab cover, hide, or both.

For a PC like a fighter, he needs TWF to effectively dual wield. However, other PC's like Paladins and rogues can dual wield effectively without the need for TWF.

Especially rogues. Double the chances to get SA is just better, in most fights, than being attacked less often. And Rogues can disengage or hide as a bonus in rounds where the first hit triggers SA and the offhand isn’t needed, so the melee rogue is still getting hit less than other melees.

As we demonstrated in the other thread, TWF cannot compete with GWM and SS past tier 2 - it isn't even close. So no, not all tiers.

IDS is even better with GWM: Weapon damage much much greater and "cleave" more than compensates for the second attack given by TWF. Now if Dual Wielder changed the second attack from a Bonus action to part of the normal action then I would be more convinced.

For the Swashbuckler TWF works well, but I am not convinced even a little bit that TWF with rogue is worthwhile compared to ranged.
Getting at least 1 hit with which to use Smite is more important than doing a little extra damage when you do get it.

Satyrn

First Post
Replying again just to point out one small thing.
. . . You need 15 for plate anyway . . .
You don't really need that 15 Str to wear plate. Having a lower strength just reduces your speed a little. And I picked dwarf specifically because they have a feature that avoids that reduction.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Replying again just to point out one small thing.

You don't really need that 15 Str to wear plate. Having a lower strength just reduces your speed a little. And I picked dwarf specifically because they have a feature that avoids that reduction.
Right, I forgot about the Dwarf thing :)

Remove ads