• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the Story Hour Forum on Life Support?

Do you think the story hour forum is better or worse than it was one year ago?

• Better. There's plenty of authors around here who can dance with the Big Names!

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Worse. I remember when I was your age, these story hours will filled with excitment!

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • About the same. Some better, some worse.

Votes: 52 50.5%
  • I wasn't visiting here a year ago, so I have no idea.

Votes: 17 16.5%

If sound down its because I am. Not about here or my Storyhours (hits per/comments) I have just had a bad year so far.

Sometimes I truely feel its the world vs me.

the Jester said:
Also, I find that if I write more for me than for anyone else I get a lot more satisfaction from it. :)

Yeah, that's definitely a big thing.

Of course, since posting in this thread and a few other pimpings my Story Hour is up from about 20 views an update to around 50 to 60. Something sure happened...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Mortepierre said:
Trather than watching their non-updated SH being kept forcibly on page 1 forever, I would rather see them cut/pasted over to a new forum opened only to ‘legendary authors’ (or something to that effect). That would give the ‘new crop’ some breathing space.

Hmmm. You know, we could conceivably do this if people thought it would be useful. It would mean moving any storyhour that hadn't been updated by the author in (say) three months into a "Finished Storyhour" archive forum. People could still post in there, but it would leave this forum for active story hours. Any "finished" author who then posts again could easily get it switched back over.

Useful, or added complexity?

Capellan

Explorer
Destan said:
Most of those names you list, Wisdom Penalty, are still writing. Capellan, in particular, has kicked it up a notch. (My fave of his was In Hextor's Name, but to each his own.)

Thanks for the compliment :)

Several of my story hours finished because the campaigns are over (or on very long breaks -- X-Path : Soviet of Dreams and In Hextor's Name 2 : Reign of the Redfist are definite future possibilities, but not until next year). Q-Ship is the only one active at the moment, and I try to update it once a week (in fact, I'm writing the next post at the moment). At that rate, I should be just about caught up by the time we start playing again :)

Capellan

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Hmmm. You know, we could conceivably do this if people thought it would be useful. It would mean moving any storyhour that hadn't been updated by the author in (say) three months into a "Finished Storyhour" archive forum. People could still post in there, but it would leave this forum for active story hours. Any "finished" author who then posts again could easily get it switched back over.

I think it would be useful. The people for whom it would be added complexity are the moderators, since they will have to move the threads back and forth as they become 'active' or 'dormant' once more.

I shall avoid making the obvious cheap shot about PC's stories being amongst the 'dormant' ones :)

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Piratecat said:

Added complexity, IMHO, if you want to read threads that old then you should adjust your user settings... If certain threads aren't being updated and people are bumping them then some could report them and then they could be locked.

pogre

Legend
Brother Shatterstone said:
Added complexity, IMHO, if you want to read threads that old then you should adjust your user settings... If certain threads aren't being updated and people are bumping them then some could report them and then they could be locked.

I don't mind having threads locked at the author's request. For example, when Wulf was done with his story he made just such a request. However, locking a thread because the original author has not posted for three months does not appeal to me.

Sepulchrave has a long history of long lapses. Horatio bumped his original SH thread for what 6 months before he made his second post?

PC seems to grow a bit guilty about his SH with constant bumping. It causes him to make rash promises about art threads and stuff ;)

Destan and Blackdirge are putting the writing time towards other projects, but I think both will return.

From my perspective allow these threads to continue to float with constant bumping on the first page - it will send a loud and clear message to the authors that their work is still appreciated. My other fear about moving these threads is selfish. Another forum might divide traffic. I think a fair amount of folks head to the SH page looking for a PC update and seeing none, might try another SH.

Finally, and pretty much everyone has said this, these threads deserve the accolades and attention they get. Folks will eventually catch up to great new authors like Mortepierre and Herreman the Wise et al - they just need to be patient :)

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
pogre, you have many good points... To be honest I think my total number of posts in this forum now stands at five.

I spend most of my time in the PbP forums. Mostly cause its fun, at least for me, but its also what I consider myself a true moderator of, I have this forum under my belt basically cause the guy I replaced had it.

I don’t lack the time to read story hours its more of a matter of patience, I have ADD and I also dislike reading large volumes of text on the screen at once. I tried printing a story hour or two out on paper but it was limited successful for me.

Long post short… I don’t know a whole lot about the etiquette of SH so realize my suggestions where from an outsider looking in and also from a person/moderator who’s not sure he’s the right one for archive SH. :)

Remove ads