• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is there a Forgotten Realms boxed set for 5th Edition?

Technetium

First Post
I was trying to find this, but I couldn't seem to find one. The last time I played was in 2nd Edition 15-20 years ago and there was this awesome boxed set with complete detailed maps of Faerun, a book with tons of history for the many cities and villages, loads of NPC character info, etc... I would just use that 2e stuff if I knew where it was. It's mostly the full maps I want. I was able to find an online map for the Sword Coast area, only going as far east as the dales. It's about 1/4 of Faerun, I think.

Is the stuff I'm looking for out there and I'm somehow just not finding it? If not, when do they plan to release something like that again?

Shroomy

Adventurer
I was trying to find this, but I couldn't seem to find one. The last time I played was in 2nd Edition 15-20 years ago and there was this awesome boxed set with complete detailed maps of Faerun, a book with tons of history for the many cities and villages, loads of NPC character info, etc... I would just use that 2e stuff if I knew where it was. It's mostly the full maps I want. I was able to find an online map for the Sword Coast area, only going as far east as the dales. It's about 1/4 of Faerun, I think.

Is the stuff I'm looking for out there and I'm somehow just not finding it? If not, when do they plan to release something like that again?

No, there is no 5e box set and there are no publicly announced plans for any campaign setting books. However, the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and various APs (especially Storm King's Thunder contain information about the current state of the Realms, though the focus is on the Sword Coast and the North as opposed to the Heartlands or other areas of Faerun.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
The basic boxed set for 5e is Forgotten Realms (Sword Coast again). The module Lost Mines of Phandalin (LMoP) is more of just a town and surroundings, but is good for that area between Waterdeep and Neverwinter.

kolpo

First Post

Yes this is the best I found but it is missing some 5e elements, the remains of Tymanther are not on it nor a lake that should be west of the lake of salt(the dragon born live on the shores of that lake and the Alamber sea). Zhentil keep is in ruins and Mulmaster seems to be the new center of bane worship. But it is still far closer then 4e maps. 5e fr seems to be 90% 3e, 5% 4e and 5% new stuff.

Last edited:

orderofthings

First Post
I'd say if you're concerned with Canon, read up on various wikis to familiarize yourself with the spell plague and the sundering. The Sundering was a great series if you're willing to read it. Really, things kinda go back to the way they were anyway, so...
I was lore crazy before I started running princes of the apocalypse. I had been prepping a self- written 4e campaign that took place just before the sundering, but ended up shelving it.
Honestly, the line of 5e modules is really good. Grand-scheme lore is only relevant if the players are involved and you don't need any to run them as written.
As a DM, it's easy to get wrapped up in the entire world, but players will see 0.001% of it. My players will not meet Elminster until I buy a module he is featured in. (Remember shadowdale? Just an old man walking his dog in a dungeon... "Heel, heel boy, HEAL!")

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads