• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this as fast as this site is going to get?

Libramarian

Adventurer
Has the site moved over to its new server now, and this is as fast as we can expect it to be? I hope not, because it's unbearably slow at the moment.

I timed how long it took to preview this post: 1 minute and 8 seconds.

I really enjoy the site but I can't use it at this speed.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No. We're in the process of moving to a new server. It'll be worse than usual during this process, with plenty of downtime.

There'll be an announcement when it's done.

Janx

Hero
So, we're done. There's still a memory upgrade to come, but the main part is finished.

Well, it's running faster, more like the EN World good speed days.

I know you got a dude to do some tweaking and stuff, but can you confirm that y'all have done any variation of the following:
get a snapshot of the server if it is a VM
punch out backups of the DB, really easy and fast if it it is MySQL using mysqldump
make copies of the code & modifications (you never should have lost code, and the original developer should have had a copy).

Having a disaster recovery plan in place would have mitigated the damage. it ain't gotta be fancy and long winded. But backing up your code/site directories was probably just as important as the data. We lost way more code/features than posts from the great crash, when it should have been the reverse. Code don't change that often between backups, data does.

Granted, its possible, you had all the code, but it wasn't compatible with the new vbulletin. I only inquire, because this was a huge setback, and as somone with his own servers running mission critical applications, the minimal steps to restore it shouldn't have been so great a setback.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, it's running faster, more like the EN World good speed days.

I know you got a dude to do some tweaking and stuff, but can you confirm that y'all have done any variation of the following:
get a snapshot of the server if it is a VM
punch out backups of the DB, really easy and fast if it it is MySQL using mysqldump

Dude, obviously we had a backup of the db. Otherwise where did all those 130K members and 5,000,000 posts come from? They weren't all newly posted since December! :D

Granted, its possible, you had all the code, but it wasn't compatible with the new vbulletin.

Yes.

It's all explained on the Kickstarter page. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads