• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is This Homebrew Magic Item OP?

pontinyc

Explorer
My players are level three at the moment and I'm considering giving them a magic item. Would an item that did the following be OP?

1.) Grants its user 1 extra attack per day, or

2.) Grants its user 2 extra attacks per day.

3.) What if the attack(s) were made with advantage?

Thanks in advance for any input!

ccs

41st lv DM
OP? At +1 attack/day? No.
Consider: a character can already do things that will grant them an extra attack EACH round.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
My players are level three at the moment and I'm considering giving them a magic item. Would an item that did the following be OP?

Warning: My answer is not going to be very useful.

All magic items are OP.

This is because the game is designed to be fine without any items. So any item will be special and make the characters more powerful than they were.

You might get better answers if you were to ask people to compare your item to another item.

Dualazi

First Post

Well, we could use some more info really. Is this a quality attached to a weapon? Does the weapon/item granting this bonus require attunement? While this will slide it about in either direction, I would say for the most part it's balanced enough to be workable. The thing you have to remember is that:

a) it's going to increase your alpha quite a bit. A fighter with the #2 options at level 5 can hit 6 attacks in one round, 7 if he's hasted or dual-wielding. That quickly begins to enter territory where you can bring down a boss in one round.

b) The above example leads me to my next point, which is that OP or not, these items are going to scale very well, since anything that increases weapon damage/accuracy (stats, feats, items, spells) is going to make this item better by proxy. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you need to keep in mind that unless it takes up a valuable slot that is needed for something else, this item could last a very long time.

transtemporal

Explorer
No, thats fine. I'm considering giving the party a one-handed sword that works like a wand with 5 charges. It has no magic bonus but you can expend a charge as part of the attack action to gain an additional attack with the weapon. And you can expend up to 2 charges. Recharges 1d4+1 charges per day and if you use the last charge, theres a 1 in 20 chance it becomes non magical.

Fanaelialae

Legend
It's sounds fine to me. While it will certainly improve the burst damage of whoever wields it (particularly a paladin, on account of smites) the once per day limitation keeps it in check.

pontinyc

Explorer
All very helpful thoughts, thanks. And, yes, the plan was to require attunement. I hadn't considered the longevity of such an item, though, so thanks for bringing that to my attention. And dropping a BBEG in one round was, indeed, one of my concerns with this item so it's something I'll have to consider.

Re: what the item would be specifically, I was thinking of maybe making them hand wraps for the monk in the party.

I'd go for 1/day. If you do go for 2/day, I would definitely also limit it to 1/round. Advantage isn't necessary; an extra attack is already like super advantage, if you think about it.

Satyrn

First Post
I wouldn't even begin to consider it overpowered. It feels weak to me.

A flame tongue after all deals +2d6 on every hit.

I'd go with something more like the wand-like sword [MENTION=6777693]transtemporal[/MENTION] mentions above.

Lanliss

Explorer
Compare it to a +1 item, arguably among the weakest but most reliable magic weapons. Assume the weapons both deal 1d6.

Your weapon=1 extra 1d6+mod per day (we will assume mod is 0.) Max damage 6.

+1 weapon= +1 damage per attack. Unless they only attack 5 times, your weapon is equal to or weaker than the +1.

End result, your weapon is not only not overpowered, but is arguably among the weakest possible, discounting anything situational like a sword that allows you to cast Thaumaturgy 1/day.

Remove ads