• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this overpowered? 5e Psionic Sorcerer Sub-class

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
It's no secret that I like Dark Sun, enough so that my home setting can be described as "Dark Sun meets Dragonlance".

anyway, earlier week I had something of a breakthrough regarding psionics, and whipped up the following:

PSION (SORCERER)
Psionic sorcerers trace their magic not to some inhuman ancestor or arcane catastrophe, but rather to the mysterious powers of their own mind.

Psychosomatic Resilience
Starting at 1st level, when you are not wearing armor, your AC is equal to 13 + your Dexterity modifier.
In addition, you have resistance to psychic damage.

Psychokinesis
Also at 1st level, once per turn whenever you cast a spell, you can push (or pull) each creature or object affected by the spell up to 10 feet away from (or towards) yourself.
An unwilling creature must make a Strength saving throw against your spell save DC to remain in place.
You can use this feature on creatures and objects that are of Large size or smaller.

Improved Psionics
At 6th level, the psionic power of your mind increases.
You gain two of the following benefits of your choice at 6th level, and gain a third benefit of your choice at 14th level.
Empathic Shield. When a friendly creature within 30 feet of you takes damage, you can use your reaction to reduce that instance of damage by 1d4
At 11th and 16 level sorcerer level, this damage reduction increases by 1d4
You can use this benefit a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier. You regain all expended uses after you finish a long rest.
Empowered Psychokinesis. Whenever you use your Psychokinesis with a spell that deals damage, you deal an extra 1d6 force damage to each creature. You can apply the Empowered Spell Metamagic option to this feature.
Latent Telepathy. You know the detect thoughts spell, and can cast it once per short or long rest without expending a spell slot.
Psychic Defense. You gain a bonus to Wisdom saving throws equal to 1 + half your Charisma modifier.

Mind Storm
At 18th level, you can use your action to spend 5 sorcery points to unleash the unchecked power of your mind in a 60 foot radius aura.
Until the end of your next turn, enemy creatures within 60 feet of yourself have disadvantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

^
is this overpowered? Good enough?

EDIT
Toned down a few things.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
First, let me say that adding psionic subclasses to existing classes is my preferred method of introducing psionics into 5e, and I have a number of such subclasses brewed up for my own game already- albeit not one for the sorcerer.

That said:

PSIONIC (SORCERER)
Psionic sorcerers trace their magic not to some inhuman ancestor or arcane catastrophe, but rather to the mysterious powers of their own mind.

A quibble, but- this needs a better name, in my opinion. I don't have a suggestion, though.

Psychosomatic Resilience
Starting at 1st level, when you are not wearing armor, your AC is equal to 13 + your Dexterity modifier.
In addition, you have resistance to psychic damage, as well as advantage on saving throws against psychic damage.

I dislike this. This is a free always-on mage armor plus extras. I think this is too good; the always-on mage armor is the equivalent of three first level spell slots per day.

Psychokinesis
Also at 1st level, once per turn whenever you cast a spell, you can push (or pull) each creature or object affected by the spell up to 10 feet away from (or towards) yourself.
You can use this feature on creatures and objects that are of Large size or smaller.

I like this, though I think it should offer a Strength save.

Improved Psionics
At 6th level, the psionic power of your mind increases.
You gain two of the following benefits of your choice at 6th level, and gain a third benefit of your choice at 14th level.
Empathic Shield. When a friendly creature within 30 feet of you takes damage, you can use your reaction to reduce that instance of damage by 2d6.
At 11th and 16 level sorcerer level, this damage reduction increases by 1d6.
You can use this benefit a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier. You regain all expended uses after you finish a long rest.

Huh. This looks a little strong, but I'm not sure. I only have my PH in front of me, so I don't have any of the subsequent sorcerer subclasses to compare it to. My concern isn't with this one ability, but with the fact that you get to choose two of these features- giving both two excellent abilities and great versatility.

Empowered Psychokinesis. Whenever you use your Psychokinesis with a spell that deals damage, you deal an extra 1d6 force damage to each creature. You can apply the Empowered Spell Metamagic option to this feature.

This is basically 1/turn extra damage with any spell. I think it's too good.

Latent Telepathy. You know the detect thoughts spell, and can cast it once per short or long rest without expending a spell slot.

OTOH, I don't think this is cool enough. I'd grant actual telepathy instead, though maybe not quite at will.

Psychic Defense. You gain a bonus to Wisdom saving throws equal to 1 + half your Charisma modifier.

This would be a hard no in my book. Straight up save bonuses are very, very powerful, and giving a Cha-based class this bonus to a good save (Wis, Con, or Dex) is a major increase in defense. IMHO.

Mind Storm
At 18th level, you can use your action to spend 5 sorcery points to unleash the unchecked power of your mind in a 60 foot radius aura.
For one minute, enemy creatures within 60 feet of yourself have disadvantage on all saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Again, this would be a hard no for me. Combined with a high save DC, this is basically an "I win this encounter" ability.

I'd say that you have some really good ideas here, but probably need to tone it back. However, I am also pretty conservative about what I allow into my game and am very cautious about balance issues, so take my evaluation with a grain of salt.

Remove ads