Island Empire OOC, (Closed)

Lou

Explorer
Something I did not realize:

It's worth noting that a LOT of these cows come from D&D's origins. It started as a modification to tabletop wargames, such as Chainmail, so that your soldiers could continue from one game to the next.

Ever wonder why elves had their paralysis resistance (in earlier editions, still present in 3.5 in a few rare cases such as the Ghoul)? It's because elves were high-cost units in Chainmail, and undead (which could paralyze things) were cheap, and the designers of that game didn't want elves to be worthless. Balance issues in one game leading to particular rules quirks in later games - pretty much the definition of a sacred cow in gaming terms.

Leif

Adventurer
Interesting, Lou! BTW, at the bottom of the referenced post on whatever site that was, there is a note about Wizards not necessarily being able to copy scrolls into their spellbooks in 4E. If that is the case, we'll house-rule that in my 4E game, because that's just BOGUS! (Yay, Elerosse!)

Scotley

Hero
Yeah page 298 of the 4e ph says

"Limitation: Even though a ritual scroll lets you
perform a ritual, you can neither master a ritual from
a scroll nor copy a scroll into a ritual book. A scroll
is a condensed version of a ritual, partially cast and
primed so that it only takes up a single page."

Lou

Explorer
Drinking my Texas Pecan coffee this morning as we prepare to load the car for T-town. I will be Crackberry-only until Tuesday evening. We are staying through Monday to allow eldest daughter to make an "official visit" to TU. They are recruiting her for their Energy Management program. She's still focused on accounting for now, wants to be a CFO/CEO. I'll try to post enough to keep things moving in the various games.

Last edited:

Remove ads