Island Empire Part 2, Mermaid's Rest

Leif

Adventurer
But Waitaminnit

Mr. Morwyn, your "logic" is no better. Why would you wish to act so rashly on your own unproven surmise that time is of the essence? Is there not some way that we can gather more information so that we have a better idea of the true situation before we blindly stumble into a situation that may not be what we expect at all?

My feeling is that the more informed we can be about the true status of the situation before we commit ourselves to any action, then the greater will be our chance of success. So I agree with Mr. Radoon, simply because I do not believe that we have enough information to properly evaluate our situation. At least, I certainly have heard no one offer up such information, or even assert that we know enough to act. Instead, all we have is your blind statement that we should proceed full speed ahead in spite of our ignorance! Such a course of action invites disaster in my opinion. It may be that there is no good source of information to be had that is pertinent to our plight, and, in such case, then there is nothing do be done but proceed with all possible caution. But I, for one, would feel better if someone would at least adequately address the question of how to learn what we wish to learn before we enter a potentially deadly situation.

What say the rest of you? [And, then singing: ] Can I get a witness??

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Rook

"Mr. Finn professes to be in the business of information acquisition by subterfuge. I specialize in acquiring information by stealth. Why not make use of our talents?"

mleibrock

First Post
Scotley said:
[sblock=For Radoon Only]Well Terry knows him so that's a good sign. We can certainly use a wizard before we tackle more Necromantic Shamans.[/sblock]

[sblock=For M Only] It just seems odd we did not receive word from Marin that another would be joining us. And the timing is odd, just when we need a magic user most, plop...here ya go. I've learned that you don't look a gift horse in the mouth but then again, when things seem too good to be true, they usually are. I would really like to question him more maybe over a glass of ale, want to help me?"[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
[sblock=For Radoon Only]"Any excuse to dip into the keg. What is it with sailors! We may be about to go into a serious battle. If this wizard is who he says he is do you really want him casting illusions of pink elephants instead of really putting his skills to use?" [/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
information gathering

Excellent plan, Mr. Rook! I also may have some useful skills when it comes to learning about certain aspects of people, places, or things, and I can usually do this from a safe distance, too. I am not too sure just yet, about where we are, who/what we are up against, or what our goal is. As I said before, I do not want to waste time by asking for an extended exposition about these things, but I simply point out my current ignorance to suggest that I may not be aware of some things that I can do to help, so I am asking for your assistance in addressing these things.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Rook

"OK, here it is. We've been commissioned to find Mr. Marin's son, Allois. We've been led a merry chase, tracked down a few clues, lost a mate when he found he wasn't disposed to play nicely with the rest of us (though to be fair, I'm certain he had his reasons), and finally ended up here at the rest. Here we learned (if all is as it seems) that Allois and his ship have been taken by barbarians [OOC: not a hint of disdain or sarcasm in his voice with this word] from the north, and that his capture is likely a part of some larger plot. We've killed a fairly powerful necromantic shaman who was able to summon a huge boar from another plane, and it is almost certain that the barbarians' leader is another of such ilk. They are currently behind the aforementioned wall with Allois' ship (gutted) and one of their own (partially dismantled or under construction - not leaving anytime soon), and Allois is probably with them. Part of the reason I want to reconnoiter is that we don't even know for sure that Allois is there - although we are almost certain."

OOC:

If we do in fact know that Allois is behind the wall and I have forgotten as a player, Rook wouldn't have said that last sentence.

Last edited:

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon

OCC - Well, since Finn seems to be tied up. Let's make what plans we can to get a peek.

"Nurl, you mentioned you could make someone invisible? How long could this last? Our friend Rook can move very quietly and was thinking he might be able to poke around very thoroughly if he were invisible."

Scotley

Hero
Marienna

The red-headed woman adds to Rook's statement, "We've been informed that Captain Marin's diviners have determined that Allois is still alive and somewhere on Mermaid's Rest, at least as of yesterday. A woman we questioned last night says that he was brought here as a prisoner and was with the ship. We were not able to locate him at another location last night, so the only other place we know he might be is beyond that floating wall with the ship. That doesn't mean he couldn't be somewhere else, but we have found no other clues pointing to a different location."

OOC: Finn hasn't checked in for a while. We can assume he slipped out to check the weapons when the order came to get under way. Hopefully, he'll return soon.

Leif

Adventurer
invisibility

mleibrock said:
OCC - Well, since Finn seems to be tied up. Let's make what plans we can to get a peek.

"Nurl, you mentioned you could make someone invisible? How long could this last? Our friend Rook can move very quietly and was thinking he might be able to poke around very thoroughly if he were invisible."

I have a feeling that this would not be practical. It would only serve to cover Rook if he was flying or swimming alone, (it'd be pretty silly for him to be invisible, but row up in a visible boat!) and he would not be able to strike any blows and maintain the invisibility. Plus, given the distances involved, I'm not entirely sure that he could even get into position to do any good while the spell was still in effect. [ooc: To make sure, I'll check the spell description when I get home tonight, but I seem to recall this being changed in the new edition rules from the old invis. spell that could last indefinitely, if you were careful.] However, if there was a way for him to take me along with him, I could cast the spell again when needed, but, of course, we'd need twice as many spells, plus at least one for Allois if we were lucky enough to spirit him away. I don't swim too fast, as you might imagine. Generally no faster than your average rock!

Remove ads