It appears that Star Trek has learnt from Star Wars

Padril

First Post
Star Trek purists, take a deep breath! On Sept. 16, the iconic ‘60s series will return to syndication for the first time since 1990, but with a startling difference: All 79 episodes are being digitally remastered with computer-generated effects not possible when Gene Roddenberry created the show 40 years ago. The news could cause Roddenberry loyalists to have a collective cow, but the longtime Trek staffers in charge of the makeover say they're honoring the late maestro's vision, not changing it.

I heard a rumour they were going to do this a while ago but this is the first I've seen confirming it.

060831insider1pop.jpg

The full story here http://tvguide.com/News/Insider/

LMAO at the "Roddenberry loyalists to have a collective cow" remark.

But otherwise, meh. Haven't watched a Star Trek episode in years, and don't have any urge to watch a series I got bored of a long time ago.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Padril said:
I heard a rumour they were going to do this a while ago but this is the first I've seen confirming it.
There's actually some test footage of this I've seen floating on Youtube. They redid bits of that one ep with the planet killer 'doomsday machine'. It didnt look that bad, but the purists are going to hate it.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I'm a bit of a purist, I got angry and quit watching Enterprise since I didn't think it fit into continutity with TOS properly...however i'll be all over this. I've seen the updated version on youtube and it looks good.

Vigilance

Explorer
It's funny to me that a lot of Paramount's current strategy with Trek seems to emulate the New Voyages fan films.

Recasting the classic trek crew and using good CGI for the original show... hmmmm where have I heard that before.

Chuck

satori01

First Post
Star Wars as a base line, holds up in the effects department, thus adding Riding Lizard here, a new shot of the Rebel Snub Fighter force going to the Death Star there, does not seem incongrous.

Star Trek looks cheesy, it has always looked cheesy. From the fake alien that was really a kid to the giant floating space turd that was the planet destroyer...the sets, the costumes, the sound effects, the special effects, and often the dialogue are just B grade mulch.....and people love it despite that.

It will seem odd to me if suddenly a Klingon D-10 Attack Crusier suddenly looks modern day computer generated, and the next scene we jump to a shot of the Ugly, Plain Engine Room on the Enterprise where everyone is pretending that the ship is being shook in that awfull over the top, shaking the camera sort of way that only Star Trek has.

Flexor the Mighty! said:
I'm a bit of a purist, I got angry and quit watching Enterprise since I didn't think it fit into continutity with TOS properly...however i'll be all over this. I've seen the updated version on youtube and it looks good.
Do you have any link or some useful keywords for the videos?

I would prefer a new Startrek Series, but a visual update is at least something.

Remove ads