Star Trek TNG Re-watch

practicalm

Explorer
I can remember dropping TNG early. I think the criticisms by DC Fontana pushed me over the edge on that.
I do remember watching the borg season finale and opener but never really got into it.

DS9 was my jam and Voyager didn't keep me interested. I really wanted to like Enterprise but only the last season seemed to rise to acceptable level.
Mirror episodes were great. The change in the title was cute.

Mezuka

Hero
Watched a few scenes from the old Star Trek 80's movies today during a tv festival. They didn't age well. Search for Spoke is attrocious. Budget must have been very low. The scenery on the planet looks like a studio set from the 60s series. 'Doc' (Christopher Loyd) as a Klingon doesn't cut it.

I'm partial to DS9. Recently, I watched the episode in which Cisko and his son build a solar ship. It was still good, but dare not rewatch anything else.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I always thought Gates McFadden stepped away from the show due to pregnancy. I didn't think there was more to it. Perhaps I need to look into it. Now I'm curious.

Edit: I'm embarrassed. No clue where I got the pregnancy stuff from. Ignorance is bliss. I think I'd rather it be true, than it be strife behind the scenes.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Yes, season 3 is the turning point. They were lucky to get renewed.

Then it just keeps going. Last couple of seasons are solidly in star trek the next conversation territory.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Watched a few scenes from the old Star Trek 80's movies today during a tv festival. They didn't age well. Search for Spoke is attrocious. Budget must have been very low. The scenery on the planet looks like a studio set from the 60s series. 'Doc' (Christopher Loyd) as a Klingon doesn't cut it.

This is considered one of the worst movies. Before and after are much better.

Of course, for ST movies, the evens have the edge, for (A)D&D editions, its the odds.

Vael

Legend
The Evens have Nemesis, a movie so terrible that even though I watched it via a torrent file I want my money and time back, and with the Reboot movies, it's 2009 and Beyond that are the best and are technically odd numbered, so I no longer subscribe to the Evens>Odds Trek movie theory.

Despite the weaknesses of TNG, it still remains my favourite Trek, because it is the Trek I grew up with. One of my earliest TV memories is "Encounter at Farpoint", and so yes, while I'm aware of TNG's flaws, and consider DS9 (and maybe Discovery, now that it's gotten really strong in the current season) superior shows, TNG is still the Star Trek for me.

MGibster

Legend
I went to a Trek convention in Plano, Texas in the 1990s and saw Leonard Nimoy and Grace Lee Whitney. Of TOS, Nimoy said, "The episodes that were bad thirty years ago are still bad today, and the episodes that were good thirty years ago are still good today." It's odd that I can say that about TNG now but that's what I get for not dying. In 1987, I was just so darned excited to get a new Star Trek series I really didn't see any flaws. Not counting the clip show with Riker in some sort of coma, the worst episode for me was "Sub Rosa" where Dr. Crusher has a romance with the same ghost that romanced her grandmother. It wasn't just boring it was so oddly out of place.

Remove ads