D&D (2024) It feels so much like the D&D Next playtest did

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
(Re: Title of the thread)

Huh. I was just commenting in another thread about how this feels more like an extra-noisy Unearthed Arcana.

Isn't every Unearthed Arcana technically a "playtest"? With a survey and everything? This one has extra bells and whistles, but it doesn't feel all that different to me. (Maybe I'm doing it wrong, though.)

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
20100823-9GZNLq-C.jpg
PA-1DnD.jpg

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
No it wasn't.

It was being used as both an insult and a self-identification all the way back into the 1990s, so don't give me that. The self-identification wasn't always self-deprecating either. Sometimes it was used to assert that they "knew better".
This seems to be the D&D interpretation.
That's my understanding of how the term began in the 70's, from Grognards.
This seems to be the wargamer interpretation.

darjr

I crit!
(Re: Title of the thread)

Huh. I was just commenting in another thread about how this feels more like an extra-noisy Unearthed Arcana and not a whole "playtest" thing.

Isn't every Unearthed Arcana technically a "playtest"? With a survey and everything? This one has extra bells and whistles, but it doesn't feel all that different to me. (Maybe I'm doing it wrong, though.)
Yes. Always have been. Don’t let people convince you otherwise.

Edit:
They are all fully viable playtests. Always have been. Real tests that do cause changes.

Last edited:

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
But are those new players going to down load a playtest and fill out a survey?
Remember when psionics we're being okay tested and the psi die carient of classes was released? It gave psionics a niche mechanic different than the base PH classes. At the end of the day the psi die=psionics mechanic was dropped because "people dont want to learn new things".

Do you think the people that wanted to keep things simple were more likely to be new players or old ones?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Remember when psionics we're being okay tested and the psi die carient of classes was released? It gave psionics a niche mechanic different than the base PH classes. At the end of the day the psi die=psionics mechanic was dropped because "people dont want to learn new things".

Do you think the people that wanted to keep things simple were more likely to be new players or old ones?
Both.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd concur with both. I don't think "not wanting to learn new things" is a legitimate objection to an optional system/class/race (like, don't use it then), but it's absolutely something both new and old players might express.
I don't think it's a fair characterization of the high bar for justifying major new subsystems that WotC found among the playerbase, but it's not any sort of age based POV.

Remove ads