• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It had to be done

Can you damamge a stell door with a normal whip?

• Yes

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • No

Votes: 62 81.6%

boolean

Explorer
Rkhet said:
A whip deals nonlethal damage. Inert objects are immune to nonlethal damage. So there you go.

So take the -4 penalty to do lethal damage. And power attack for 5 or more (wielding the whip two-handed, of course) to get past the hardness. It's not like you're going to miss the large, inanimate object.

Assuming your DM doesn't invoke the "unsuitable" clause. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
A whip really needs to be classified as a ranged weapon again. Pwoer attacking ANYTHING with a whip is to me like power attacking with a sling -- the mechanical action really isn't getting any better than what a trained user is going to put into it.

Krelios

First Post
boolean said:
So take the -4 penalty to do lethal damage. And power attack for 5 or more (wielding the whip two-handed, of course) to get past the hardness. It's not like you're going to miss the large, inanimate object.

Assuming your DM doesn't invoke the "unsuitable" clause. :)
What part of the door's anatomy can you strike to deal lethal instead of nonlethal with a whip? The -4 doesn't even apply, you can't strike for points where its armor doesn't completely cover it.

CronoDekar

First Post
So do I have problems breaking a paper wall with an unarmed attack because its inert and I can only do nonlethal damage? :D

(Yes, I know that's silly. A lot of these rules when it comes to objects really just need DM adjudication.)

Land Outcast

Explorer
So do I have problems breaking a paper wall with an unarmed attack because its inert and I can only do nonlethal damage? :D

So do you if you are dealing subdual damage with a greatsword, at full power attack, raging.

jigokusabre

First Post
To the best of my knowledge, a whip cannot get past armor, not even with power attack, not even with a +5 bonus, not even with a 182 Strength. If it can't get past a small sheet of steel, then it can't get past a big slab of the same material.

Remove ads