• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It is coming and we are all doomed!!!

delericho

Legend
Nah, it definately won't be released before 2008.

Two key factors lead me to that conclusion:

1) It will be released at GenCon Indy (August)

2) it won't be released while there is an Adventure Path running in Dungeon.

#1 should be fairly obvious - that's when all the big releases come out. #2 is a bit less certain, but an Adventure Path in Dungeon provides a lot of groups an incentive to stay with their existing edition until it is completed. By contrast, an Adventure Path that starts just as 4e is released would encourage a lot of groups to switch over. Is the number of groups affected significant? I don't know, but if I were Wizards, I would hold off on approving a new path if I knew 4e was imminent. What's more, I would want to leave a gap between the end of a Path and the big release, because these campaigns take time to play through.

So, since "Savage Tide" starts in September, and therefore finishes in August 2007, that would be a bad time to release 4e. So, I'm betting we'll not be seeing a release until at least 2008.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
I heard from my step nephew-in-law's friend's brother's girlfriend's uncle that 4th edition will include a starter pack of feat cards (collect all the booster to get the Power Attack-Cleave-Great Cleave progression!), and will feature the Favored Soul as a core class instead of the cleric and the warlock in place of the sorcerer. Halflings will be changed to an innocent, childlike race of kleptomaniacs with a favored class of wizard (oops, that'll be called Magic-User) and elves will become the epitome of "Dungeon Punk," favoring spiky hair, piercings, and the berserker class.

Still, I'm not sure whether or not to trust my step nephew-in-law's friend's brother's girlfriend's uncle...he claims they're bringing back THAC0 and the old-school saving throw tables.

JediSoth

der_kluge

Adventurer
You know, database crashes are God's way of dealing with 4th edition threads. You guys are really treading on dangerous ground here.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
delericho said:
#2 is a bit less certain, but an Adventure Path in Dungeon provides a lot of groups an incentive to stay with their existing edition until it is completed.

And an adventure path that starts as 3.5 and ends as 4e would . . .

Remove ads