• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item Creation feats

nak9788

First Post
I am trying to plan-ahead and figure out which feats I want for my character. I was considering an Item-creation feat (not Scribe Scroll) like Forge Ring, for example. I was simply trying to consider the advantages of taking such a feat.

I mean, sure you can make your own stuff (maybe even customize it), but why can't you simply spend more money and pay someone else to make any item you want? Plus, you've got to use your own XP, not to mention find the time and create it, using a lab that you can't take with you (or at least carry around).

Does anyone have any characters that have Item-creations feats? Have they been very advantageous? I could see they could be VERY useful if the DM basically created a world in which magic items were incredibly rare and the only way to easily get them would be to make them yourself.

Any thoughts?

Rystil Arden

First Post
nak9788 said:
I am trying to plan-ahead and figure out which feats I want for my character. I was considering an Item-creation feat (not Scribe Scroll) like Forge Ring, for example. I was simply trying to consider the advantages of taking such a feat.

I mean, sure you can make your own stuff (maybe even customize it), but why can't you simply spend more money and pay someone else to make any item you want? Plus, you've got to use your own XP, not to mention find the time and create it, using a lab that you can't take with you (or at least carry around).

Does anyone have any characters that have Item-creations feats? Have they been very advantageous? I could see they could be VERY useful if the DM basically created a world in which magic items were incredibly rare and the only way to easily get them would be to make them yourself.

Any thoughts?
Your observation about worlds that don't have shops with all the common magic items is apt. Also, don't underestimate the power of having nearly twice as many items at the same level for a slight XP cost. The exchange rate for XP is usually 1:5 XP:GP, so 1:25 for crafting is very favourable.

darkelfo

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Your observation about worlds that don't have shops with all the common magic items is apt. Also, don't underestimate the power of having nearly twice as many items at the same level for a slight XP cost. The exchange rate for XP is usually 1:5 XP:GP, so 1:25 for crafting is very favourable.

Additionally, there are some Item Creation Feats that reduce the gp, xp and time to create. Check out the Eberron books. The Artisan Feats are really awesome. My GM allows them to stack up to 50% reduction. So I have put in four feats which in total reduce gp and exp cost to create by 50%. Very handy. My GM also allows any player who assists in creation, even by just be present, to pay the exp cost. This allows other party members to be invested in the item creation process and doesn't screw over the party crafter. This is, of course, a house rule and, in my book, it rules!

In addition to the costs savings, don't forget the roleplaying side. While finding a ring in a treasure stash is cool, brandishing the ring you yourself made and designed is even cooler. It's very memorable.

I find Craft Wonderous Item is the among the best Item Creation Feats. There are so many cool things you can craft with it, from fun fluff like a necklace of prestidigitation to pure crunch like Robes of Protection, etc.

Rystil Arden

First Post
darkelfo said:
Additionally, there are some Item Creation Feats that reduce the gp, xp and time to create. Check out the Eberron books. The Artisan Feats are really awesome. My GM allows them to stack up to 50% reduction. So I have put in four feats which in total reduce gp and exp cost to create by 50%. Very handy. My GM also allows any player who assists in creation, even by just be present, to pay the exp cost. This allows other party members to be invested in the item creation process and doesn't screw over the party crafter. This is, of course, a house rule and, in my book, it rules!

In addition to the costs savings, don't forget the roleplaying side. While finding a ring in a treasure stash is cool, brandishing the ring you yourself made and designed is even cooler. It's very memorable.

I find Craft Wonderous Item is the among the best Item Creation Feats. There are so many cool things you can craft with it, from fun fluff like a necklace of prestidigitation to pure crunch like Robes of Protection, etc.
Just for the balance sake of poor Forge Ring, I don't allow Wondrous Items of Protection (or anything else that is currently only existant in a ring).

nak9788

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Just for the balance sake of poor Forge Ring, I don't allow Wondrous Items of Protection (or anything else that is currently only existant in a ring).

Well if you used that logic, then protection is not only existant in a ring. You have enchancement bonuses to armor and shields, plus you have bracers of protection. I'm not saying that's a bad idea, in fact I could see the usefulness of it. Only, it wouldn't apply to "protection" items (at least not the way you've described the rule).

Rystil Arden

First Post
nak9788 said:
Well if you used that logic, then protection is not only existant in a ring. You have enchancement bonuses to armor and shields, plus you have bracers of protection. I'm not saying that's a bad idea, in fact I could see the usefulness of it. Only, it wouldn't apply to "protection" items (at least not the way you've described the rule).
Nope, I'm sorry but you are wrong. Check again. There is no core item that provides a Deflection bonus to AC. I say let Craft Wondrous have the Enhancement to Natural Armour and the Armour Bonus to AC, but save Deflection bonuses for rings.

darkelfo

First Post
Rystil Arden said:

Wow. That really sucks. I feel bad for your players, especially the casters. So no bracers of defense, robes of protection etc, huh?

Rystil Arden

First Post
darkelfo said:
Wow. That really sucks. I feel bad for your players, especially the casters. So no bracers of defense, robes of protection etc, huh?
See above: Robe of Protection is illegitimate. Bracers of Defense? Check. Amulet of Natural Armour? Check. Cloak of Resistance? Check. Rober with Craft Arms and Armour stuff on it? Check. Ring of Protection? Check. Robe of Protection? No.

JimAde

First Post
darkelfo said:
I think he's just saying no bracers that do deflection bonuses. Bracers of armor (as found in the DMG) are fine. Amulets of Natural Armor, fine. Bracers of protection (which provide a deflection bonus that stacks with everything else): no.

I agree with Rystil. There's a reason Forge Ring has such a high prerequisite. It's easy to allow wondrous items to do everything, since they're so fuzzily-defined, but I figure anything that is listed in the DMG should be a guideline for how to make items.

Edit: slow typing again, dammit. :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
JimAde said:
I think he's just saying no bracers that do deflection bonuses. Bracers of armor (as found in the DMG) are fine. Amulets of Natural Armor, fine. Bracers of protection (which provide a deflection bonus that stacks with everything else): no.

I agree with Rystil. There's a reason Forge Ring has such a high prerequisite. It's easy to allow wondrous items to do everything, since they're so fuzzily-defined, but I figure anything that is listed in the DMG should be a guideline for how to make items.

Edit: slow typing again, dammit. :)
Thanks Jim. It may have been slow typing, but at least it lets me know that everything hasn't gone crazy or that I haven't mangled my words so badly that nobody could understand, since two people put up the same question to my post.

Remove ads