• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item creation question

Should a PC [B]ever[/B] create an item without first consulting the dm?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 94.6%

AZNtrogdor

First Post
Should a PC ever create an item without first consulting the dm?
EDIT: This poll was made for a player who claimed "I was limiting his experience," by forcing him to show me his custom made items before his character gets them.

Glyfair

Explorer
As written, sure. As implied, no.

I have no problem with a player creating scrolls, potions and the like while in town and telling me afterward he was doing it.

Custom items are completely a different matter. Custom items require a DM's approval.

ThirdWizard

First Post
A PC states what he plans to do and how he plans to go about it. The DM then states the outcome (the means of which are based on the social contract of the game in question). Unless specified beforehand, it is very unlikely that a PC will be allowed to do anything unless the Player has previously told the DM his or her intentions.

In other words, if you didn't say you were going to do it, you didn't do it.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Yeah... even for standard items, potions, scrolls ... I need to be in on the loop, double-check the math, and especially keep tabs on how much time is being spent.

IamTheTest

First Post
I voted no. How hard is it to say "Bob is making scroll X and potion Y"? I suppose I just dont understand where the experience is being limited.

AZNtrogdor said:
Please help me with my pc's new argument. What if the "custom item" follows the dmg's rules for creating new items?
The DMG guidelines for item creation indicate that the DM should run every new item through the "reasonable man" test. A ring of improved invisibility, according to the formulae in the DMG, is too good. Other stuff is not good enough. To encourage players to play spellcasting characters, I offer a lot of latitude - including handwaving the creation of potions of cure light and wands of fireball - "you did what in tow? Great! That'll come in handy.

Custom items are always checked and double checked and I purposely delay the creation process to give myself time to consider possible abuses and balancing factors.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads