• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Items for monk

Rudar Dimble

First Post
Do there exist gloves that are considered +5 as a weapon, so the monk could keep his unarmed damage modifier, but attack with a +5 weapon?

And are there items that boost your dex with 6 other than gloves of dex? Bracers of dex maybe?

Please also note where you found the items....

Pax

Banned
Banned
No gloves.

But you could get bracers of striking (1,310gp, gives the wearer unarmed strike if they don't have it already, and can be enchanted as a blunt double weapon (both "ends" must be identical, applying those abilities (enhancements, special abilities, etc) to all the wearer's unarmed attacks.

That one is in Magic of Faerun.

In Savage Species, is the Necklace of Natural Weapons. It costs 600gp base, plus a variable amount based on how powerful it is.

What you do is, set the enhancement and special abilities the Necklace gives; figure out what that'd cost to put on a weapon. Multiply that cost, by how many natural weapons it affects (for monks, I suggest assuming "two is enough", to keep it balanced wiht the Bracers, above). That is what you add to the 600gp.

Some suggestions, drawn on several sources:

Necklace of (2) Natural Weapons: +5, Force, Sweeping, Grasping.
... Equal to: a +10 double-weapon
... Market Price: 400,600gp
... Effects
... ... Force: adds +1d6[force] energy damage, and can affect incorporeal creatures with no miss chance.
... ... Sweeping: adds +4 to trip checks
... ... Grasping: adds +2 to Grapple and Disarm checks; disarms do not provoke AoOs.

A 20th level monk tricked out in these woudl do, before Strength bonusses, 1d20+5+1d6[force] damage, have +5 to hit, affect incorporeal creatures normally, penetrate up to ?/+5 DR, and give bonusses to disarm, grapple, and trip attacks.

Bracers of Striking: +5, Force, Impact, Stunning
... Equal to: a +10 double-weapon
... Market Price: 401,310gp
... Effects
... ... Force: see above
... ... Impact: for bludgeoning weapons, what keen is for slashing and piercing
... ... Stunning: adds +1d6[sonic] damage, and on a critical hit, the target must make a save (Fortitude DC 17) or be stunned for one round.

This would make for 1d20+5+2d6, with a broadened crit range and a crit-ependant chance to stun your target.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
But you could get bracers of striking (1,310gp, gives the wearer unarmed strike if they don't have it already, and can be enchanted as a blunt double weapon (both "ends" must be identical, applying those abilities (enhancements, special abilities, etc) to all the wearer's unarmed attacks.

That one is in Magic of Faerun.

I don't have the book, but I've seen it contended on numerous occasions that the wording doesn't actually allow for enhancement bonuses, only special abilities...

-Hyp.

Rudar Dimble

First Post
I guess the enchantment of the weapons due to the necklace doesn't stack with the ki-strike 'enchantment' of the monk?

And what about those dex-items?

Well, I also was of the belief that bracers of striking do not allow enhancement bonuses. However, go look at the necklance of natural weapons. They are about the same thing and cost similar amounts.

Makes you wonder why the amulet of might fists (Sword and Fist), which is obviously made for Monks to have enhancements to attack/damage, costs so damn much (150,000 GP for +5!!!).

I think someone screwed up somewhere here...lol.

Why spend the 150K for the amulet when you can spend 25K for the necklace?

Things that make ya go hmmmmm.

Rudar Dimble

First Post
But if I would buy a necklace of natural weapons +2 and be a monk of level 17, would my attacks be considered +3 (only ki strike) or +5 (ki + necklace)?

I need a +5 weapon and like to stay unarmed as monk; I am searching for the cheapest way to do this.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Rudar Dimble said:
But if I would buy a necklace of natural weapons +2 and be a monk of level 17, would my attacks be considered +3 (only ki strike) or +5 (ki + necklace)?

I need a +5 weapon and like to stay unarmed as monk; I am searching for the cheapest way to do this.

No; Ki strike and actual enhancements do not stack. If you have a +2 Necklace, you have +2 to hit, +2 damage, and penetrate DR as if you were wielding a +3 weapon (due to Ki strike).

Orignally posted by Malachi of Kossuth:
Makes you wonder why the amulet of might fists (Sword and Fist), which is obviously made for Monks to have enhancements to attack/damage, costs so damn much (150,000 GP for +5!!!).

I think someone screwed up somewhere here...lol.

Why spend the 150K for the amulet when you can spend 25K for the necklace?

The Amuelt is essentially a Necklace of (3) Natural Weapons.

And as I stated above: as a GM, I wouldn't let a monk get away with a Necklace of 1 Natural Weapon and also flurry; I'd charge for two natural weapons, to keep the price in balance with the Bracers (which HAVE to cost like two weapons).

The Amulet was an early answer; it got (wrongly) errata'ed to cover only one attack per round (which is just plain silly); MoF came out with the bracers ... then in SavS, the mechanic presented by the bracers was "yoinked", merged with that of hte Amulet, and we had the Necklace of Natural Weapons -- a clearly superior product. :cool:

The Arms & Equipment guide has a few weapons that you could get enchanted to +5 but only the Ward Cestus (glove that strikes as though unarmed, but gives a +1 to AC if you total defense due to iron plate in it) counts as unarmed to allow normal monk activities and damage progressions. The rest all use the weapon damage but allow the unarmed attack progression.

Rudar Dimble

First Post
Ward Cestus is in Arms & Equipment Guide? What page, cause I can't find it?

What about Ki Focus on a weapon....if I would enhance a +2 weapon with it and have a Ki strike +3, would that make a +5?? I guess not, but it is worth asking.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Rudar Dimble said:
What about Ki Focus on a weapon....if I would enhance a +2 weapon with it and have a Ki strike +3, would that make a +5?? I guess not, but it is worth asking.

The two abilities don't stack, sorry.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads