It's back! Nightfall's "Ask the Sage" Scarred Lands Q&A

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
In the same vein as the above post, though perhaps a bit more naieve -- were there any 3.5 releases for the Scarred Lands? I bought heavily into the line back in 2001-ish (had every book released for it up until the beginning of 2002) but got away from d20 altogether in 2002-2003, and then roleplaying altogether in 2004. I didn't get back to it until late 2005. So I missed some things :)

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
jdrakeh said:
In the same vein as the above post, though perhaps a bit more naieve -- were there any 3.5 releases for the Scarred Lands? I bought heavily into the line back in 2001-ish (had every book released for it up until the beginning of 2002) but got away from d20 altogether in 2002-2003, and then roleplaying altogether in 2004. I didn't get back to it until late 2005. So I missed some things :)
The various Player's [class] Guides are 3.5.

smootrk

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Are these "Player's Guides" merely class-specific splats?
you could sorta call them splats, but I have found lots of very innovative descriptive text. The Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard 'splat', for instance, contains excellent information on the differences between the types of magic, especially for bards & sorcerers... making them very interesting indeed. It was my favorite Player's Guide of the set.

Twowolves

Explorer
jdrakeh said:
Are these "Player's Guides" merely class-specific splats?

Not at all. They contain a LOT of world fluff, each focused on their particular class. There are lots of PrCs (with notes on how to use them in non-SL games) and feats, and gear, spells and magic items.

Also, Strange Lands was 3.5. Echoes of the Past is sorta 3.5, but they released it a whole month before the Expanded Psionics Handbook and didn't even try to make it compatable or update it. Honestly, a lot of the rules, whether 3.0 or 3.5, are iffy, and best looked over with a careful eye by the DM.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
smootrk said:
you could sorta call them splats, but I have found lots of very innovative descriptive text. The Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard 'splat', for instance, contains excellent information on the differences between the types of magic, especially for bards & sorcerers... making them very interesting indeed. It was my favorite Player's Guide of the set.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like splats :) I was kind of hoping that more of the 'core' material had been re-released for 3.5 (e.g., Divine and Defeated, etc).

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Frukathka said:
The class guides also present information on how to adapt the elements provided to other campaigns and genres of roleplaying.

Now that sounds handy, though for somebody else. . . my primary interest is (and always has been) in the actual Scarred Lands setting. It's probably my favorite D&D 3x setting, though Kalamar clocks in a close second.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*guessing four* *now found out this is probably five if not six*

Ry,

Any chance you could site a specific example of that? I mean I do get what you're saying generally (more commonality between the countries and their respective leaders about issues they face), but I'm a little unclear about any notable NPCs beyond Yugman and a few others that might need a little "tweaking"

Hstio,

I have tried doing a wiki for the Scarred Lands. Unfortunately I was the only one that showed up! :p ;) In any case the lack of web support is something I plan to address too once I get the Scarred Lands Revised Campaign setting up for public viewing.

Jd,

Like Fru and the others have echoed, the Player's Guide are kind of splat oriented. However there's way more fluff to it than what you might find even in the Complete series. Indeed I like to think the Complete series is complimentary to the Player's Guides, especially since they deal with how each class can be retooled in some way to be more SL specific. Strange Lands, Edge of Infinity, Shelzar, City of Sin, and probably Creature Collection 3 is 3.5 oriented. Also as stated by some there are some wonkified miscues that the editing people missed, but considering the department only had a few people working on it, it's not that bad.

There is info on how each class might have come to be, such as the creation of paladins, the beliefs of various druids sects, sorcerers and their bloodlines, bardic music alternatives, Wizardry versus Sorcery, (or as I like to think of it, the Art versus the Craft) Rangers that were originally servants of druids, and barbarians as spiritual peoples. Monks also get a nice treatment too, detailing their Hedradan roots and possible training methods done by a half dragon servant of Hedrada.

That good enough SL detail for you? ;)

Mazat? I must have missed him...but to my knowledge there is no additional background if it's not listed there. Where ever there is. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads