• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's back! Nightfall's "Ask the Sage" Scarred Lands Q&A

Ry

Explorer
Take Karria for example (Ghelspad p 87).

Barcelus does diplomatic missions - with whom has she met? Who are her allies out in the world of diplomacy? What kings and rulers appreciate her, and which ones think of her as a nuisance?

Countess Tagani moved against Storm goblins loyal to Enkili - did the herald or page of Enkili get or give any kind of warning? They are helpful citizens now, what characters were the force of change?

But most importantly, how is Karria part of the web of power?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*seven probably*

Ah I see your point. You want more quantitative views on who in those areas (especially dealing with Darakenee) that Karria has met with. Very well I'll keep that in mind when I do write ups on the countries as well as city states. As I said, it helps to have definitive examples to help me "rework" the webbing of the Scarred Lands so that people (especially important NPCs in their countries) can be more known "qualities" to both the NPCs and the DMs/GMs.

Fru,

I do but some days I need reminders, I get old and things slip.. Not mention with global warming I tend to have my brain soaked with sweat. :p Stupid mowing.

Ah see I don't know Mazat other than he likes to run things. He and I keep in different circles. Most of my contacts come from the Scaled or else the Cult of the Ancients. (Not always the Whisper but some times.)

Unless you mean how did he become a Skin Devil, well it's common knowledge that Enkili had his fun with him. I mean why else would the patron of Shelzar keep a guy that in charge?

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
When I think of the Scarred Lands, I think of how active the gods and such are; the heralds, pages, and the various outsiders can really get around - and the magic-users can communicate over long distances. Two wizards can have a rivalry even if they've never met in person. So there's lots of opportunities for characters to have long-distance connections, and the more connected things are the less it feels like 20 different thematically similar setting stitched at the edges.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Nightfall said:
Unless you mean how did he become a Skin Devil, well it's common knowledge that Enkili had his fun with him. I mean why else would the patron of Shelzar keep a guy that in charge?
That info is already present in The Wise & Wicked. ;)

Nightfall

*eight*

Fru,

Well then I'm not sure what else you want. I mean, do you want to know what he has for breakfast? What kind of music does he like? Blondes or Brunettes? It helps to quantify what you mean by "background BEHIND the background.". Since I wasn't involved in his "creation."

Ry,

Well the whole communicating over distances can be readily explained since a) not all wizards tend to talk to each other and b) there can be interferences caused by back ground "noise" in the Etheral due to dead souls, potent left over magics by the Titans, and indeed block sendings done by other parties. But I do see your point about the gods portending things. However they do also have a kind of binding agreement to let mortals work their wills and often do so with free will. So while I will say things like the storm goblins of Enkili probably got ignored in favor of some other of Enkili's whims, it is easy to see where Karria would have contact with Darakenee nobles, especially along the coast line. Ships do sail there some times. Thus I do plan to keep contact with those that are closest to each other more "webbed" than say Karria and Durrover, Hollowfaust or even Mithril.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Nightfall said:
Fru,

Well then I'm not sure what else you want. I mean, do you want to know what he has for breakfast? What kind of music does he like? Blondes or Brunettes? It helps to quantify what you mean by "background BEHIND the background.". Since I wasn't involved in his "creation."
I was only wondering if there was more information in another book that delved deep into his history.

Nightfall

*nine and last for the next 12 hours...*

Just Shelzar, City of Sin. That's about the most details I can recall now that I recall it. :p

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Frukathka said:
New Q's:

How to make the Truenamer and Binder to fit the concept of Scarn?
Here is how Nightfall replied in a PM to me:

Truenamers are easy.

There's numerous examples where they would be useful as they can find the true names of gods as well as fiends. Many of which would be able to qualify for the benefits of say Cabalists and even Master Cabalists. Indeed it's possible that one is the offshoot of the other. (Choice is yours)

Same is true for binders. Most of them would be bloodwitches without the blood qualifiers usually. Indeed they would be followers of the titans to many if not practioners of Ushada and/or shamanism. Thus clerics would abhor them while some druids would accept them as dealing with "natural" spirits.

Remove ads