• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E It's October 1. Do you known where your spell cards are?

trystero

Explorer
I don't think these cards are on my radar, really, but I do dig the design aesthetic. They have an old school look that reminds me of the old two-color print jobs from the AD&D1 days. Are the boxes actually matte, or do they just look that way in the photos?

The boxes are matte finish (though the cards themselves are glossy, since they're dry-erase).

I'll see how they hold up in play, but so far I'm quite pleased. I like them as an option: I'd be annoyed if I thought I needed them, but they're a nice-to-have. And I don't think they're too expensive, personally.

I do need to find a big box to hold them when not in use, though: the original boxes are very very snug and I might prefer to store them with class/level dividers.

Grainger

Explorer
They're actually very good value for money, in the UK at least. The Paladin deck is £3. To put that in perspective, that's about the cost of a coffee in a coffee chain (probably a bit more, depending on what your drink of choice is). It's rare that we get a quality gaming product for that sort of price.

Last edited:

trystero

Explorer
They're actually very good value for money, in the UK at least. The Paladin deck is £3. To put that in perspective, that's about the cost of a coffee in a coffee change (give or take a bit, depending on what your drink of choice is). It's rare that we get a quality gaming product for that sort of price.

Here in the USA, I got the 44-card Paladin and 46-card Ranger decks for $7 apiece and the 230-card Arcane deck for $20. I think those are eminently reasonable prices.

And I have the next three on pre-order: the 120-card Bard deck and 106-card Cleric deck are $13 each, and the 110-card Druid deck is $7 (which is odd, but I guess I won't complain).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I asked my FLGS. They said that Gale Force 9 has not released to their distributor yet. I told them to hurry the hell up because I want my Paladin deck and I want to support FLGS.

Doesn't sound like your FLGS has any control over it.

They stated before that the cards would be laminated. However, from the pictures, it looks that's not the case. I suppose I'll find out for sure when they are delivered.

trystero

Explorer
The cards are laminated; they're glossy and smooth. I haven't tried writing on mine with a dry-erase marker yet, but they look like they should be okay for that.

charliebananas

First Post
Used mine on Monday, first card the spelcaster tried to use we found it didn't list it was a "CONCENTRATION" type spell, haven't gone through the deck yet to see if it was just that one or all such spells. Other than that the only other problem I had is that the Arcane deck had an ink splat on the bottom running through the whole deck, it's only visable when the cards are stacked and doesn't show on the face of the card. If these were a playing deck they would be "marked" but as the deck is for referance it's not a problem, other than that I'm happy with them.

Remove ads