It's Official: Star Trek XI Greenlit, JJ Abrams to direct

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Hmmm, interesting, I thought MI3 basically tanked. But now that I look on Box Office Mojo, it did do relatively poorly in the US, but really cleaned up world wide.

Still, it did about $150 million worse than 2 (the most lucrative in the series), and the director of that, John Woo, can't seem to even get work anymore in the US. Yet, this guy is the new golden child of Hollywood.

Ranger REG

Explorer
John Crichton said:
Brody is the most versatile actor of the three and can probably pull off a good Spock. Unless they want to go with an unknown lookalike to play him, that casting choice is cool with me. Same with Damon. He has some excellent chops and tons of screen presence. It all comes down to the chemistry of the main three and a solid script.

I like the idea of a first mission storyline as opposed to a Starfleet Academy thing.
Personally, I'd cast Zachary Quinto (aka "Sylar" on HEROES).

Vigilance

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
Hmmm, interesting, I thought MI3 basically tanked. But now that I look on Box Office Mojo, it did do relatively poorly in the US, but really cleaned up world wide.

Still, it did about $150 million worse than 2 (the most lucrative in the series), and the director of that, John Woo, can't seem to even get work anymore in the US. Yet, this guy is the new golden child of Hollywood.

Well, the studio thinks MI: III would have done a lot better without Tom Cruise's antics, and in fact terminated his relationship over them. But they have said many times they thought Abrams did a fantastic job on the film.

I dont think it's just MI:III either, I think a little thing called Lost, one of the biggest TV shows in a long time has something to do with it too.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Vigilance said:
I dont think it's just MI:III either, I think a little thing called Lost, one of the biggest TV shows in a long time has something to do with it too.

But Lost like Alias has gone downhill and is looking like it needs a major overhaul in the way it is going if it is to remain strong. Rating are very much down right now.

John Crichton said:
Why, and for who?
I would assume for Spock. Visually, he seems to fit, and he seemed a pretty good actor so far, too. I think he should be able to pull of a cold, unemotional Vulcan (though it can be debated whether you actually need to be good for that :) )

Vigilance

Explorer
Brown Jenkin said:
But Lost like Alias has gone downhill and is looking like it needs a major overhaul in the way it is going if it is to remain strong. Rating are very much down right now.

So you're saying the show isn't going to be a phenomenon forever?

I'm sure studio executives are shocked that such a thing is possible.

The fact is, all TV shows go through this. People that create shows that draw millions of viewers to the tube every week are recognized as valuable by movie executives.

Buffy, Angel and Firefly all went downhill to cancellation and yet Joss Whedon also has a multi-picture deal with a major studio. Because he brought fans to the TV every week.

This is a valuable commodity and the fact that every TV show will eventually decline and be cancelled doesn't make its creator suddenly less valuable.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Except of course those shows that build an audience from year to year. Sienfeld had realy bad ratings its first year and went out on top at the end. Many Shows start Strong and stay strong for years like ER. Abrams creates shows that start strong and decline after only 1 year as his plots get too convoluted to follow.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Brown Jenkin said:
Except of course those shows that build an audience from year to year. Sienfeld had realy bad ratings its first year and went out on top at the end. Many Shows start Strong and stay strong for years like ER. Abrams creates shows that start strong and decline after only 1 year as his plots get too convoluted to follow.
Wow. I must be too kind because I think his works tend to fizzle out after 3 seasons.

Remove ads