It's Official: Star Trek XI Greenlit, JJ Abrams to direct

Vigilance

Explorer
Brown Jenkin said:
Except of course those shows that build an audience from year to year. Sienfeld had realy bad ratings its first year and went out on top at the end. Many Shows start Strong and stay strong for years like ER. Abrams creates shows that start strong and decline after only 1 year as his plots get too convoluted to follow.

So you wonder why anyone would want to hire him because he hasn't created Seinfeld or ER? Two of the most popular shows in the history of television? He didn't create Gunsmoke either. Another black mark.

There wouldn't be very many jobs to go around if "only" creating Felicity, Alias and Lost wasn't enough to show you have chops and can deliver viewers.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Vigilance said:
There wouldn't be very many jobs to go around if "only" creating Felicity, Alias and Lost wasn't enough to show you have chops and can deliver viewers.
Isn't ABC's What About Brian? listed among his TV credits?

Henry

Autoexreginated
When you have three A-level or B-level people listed as possible cast members, then the odds are that it's a bogus rumor. Adrian Brody, Matt Damon, and Gary Sinese? You're talking 30 million dollars or more between the three of them! Not saying it's totally untrue, but chances are that's somebody's dream-casting going on.

Me, I'm just glad they green-lit it.

IcedEarth81

First Post
Didn't all those shows start declining in viewership after Abrams' involvement decreased?

The bottom line is Abrams isn't being asked to create a long running TV show here, he is being asked to create a movie and probably a few sequels. What are we looking at here, 2 hours or so per movie? It's a heck of a lot easier to create a few 2 hour movies than it is to create and maintain a hit TV show that keeps a high viewer mark. Don't let your frustration of Lost cloud your views of Abrams. If you dislike the direction some of his shows took after his own involvement went down you need to take it out on those who took over the reigns, not Abrams himself.

Vigilance

Explorer
Brown Jenkin said:
Except of course those shows that build an audience from year to year. Sienfeld had realy bad ratings its first year and went out on top at the end. Many Shows start Strong and stay strong for years like ER. Abrams creates shows that start strong and decline after only 1 year as his plots get too convoluted to follow.

Felicity was on the air for 4 years. I'm not too familiar with this show, but I think it's fair to say that a show on for 4 years, that does well in DVD sales as well, counts as successful.

Alias for 5 and never ranked out of the top 100 in ratings, bringing in 7.2 million viewers in its worst season, season 5. Contrary to what you said above about not building ratings and declining after one year, Alias had its highest ratings in Season 4.

Lost has been on for three seasons and counting. Season 1 averaged 16 million viewers and ranked 14th, Season 2 averaged 15.5 million viewers and ranked 14th and the 3rd season has averaged 18 million viewers. Wow, it sure is stagnating.

Lost has also never lost (no pub intended) the 18-49 male demographic, the one everyone wants, in its time slot.

It also has critical success, with an Emmy for Best Drama series for Season 1. Abrams himself was awarded the Emmy for best direction for the Pilot episode of Lost.

Abrams then went to Hollywood where he directed a movie named Mission Impossible III, a movie that made almost $400 million dollars worldwide.

I mean... why the hell are we having a conversation this long about whether or not the guy is a success?

Still, several of the claims made in this thread by you that his shows peak after one year and don't build ratingsare just wrong.

I mean, clearly you don't care for him. Cool. But stick to either actual facts, or just state your opinion. Don't try to cook up falsities to make your opinion seem unbiased somehow.

Vigilance

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Isn't ABC's What About Brian? listed among his TV credits?

Wow, honestly never heard of this show lol. But I do see it's been on for two years now.

Since I consider 3 years to be a "hit" TV show, he might get #4.

Honestly, of the shows he's done, I only watched 1 regularly, so I wouldn't even call myself a fan of the guy. I just think he clearly has some chops and an ability to deliver viewers.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Henry said:
When you have three A-level or B-level people listed as possible cast members, then the odds are that it's a bogus rumor.
Funny, that's what I thought of Ocean's 11 (both Sinatra and Clooney versions).

Ranger REG

Explorer
Vigilance said:
Wow, honestly never heard of this show lol.
It's on ABC, after Supernanny. So it's competing with CSI:Miami (currently on repeat) and Studio 60 (currently on hiatus, Black Donnellys is substituting).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Vigilance said:
Buffy, Angel and Firefly all went downhill to cancellation

Firefly didn't go downhill - it never got the audience to begin with. Only, what, 12 episodes?

Remove ads