• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ITS WORKING! D20 modern Automated Character Generator

Nadaka

First Post
I have started a project to write a d20 modern NPC generator.

In its first version it will be a web-application that can generate one or more NPCs based on user input.

Later, I intend to distribute it as a stand alone application that can run on your local machine.

Eventually I hope to expand it to the point that it can handle general character generation rather than just automatec NPC generation.

Any requests, suggestions, etc?

Last edited:

Roudi

First Post
Aye, the RPGObjects Character Generator is the standard by which you should gauge your work, Nadaka. Other suggestions would be an application where new material is to input. You might also do well to promote the Generator to publishers, so that they might release updates for it pertinent to their own material, and thus help support your Generator.

Nadaka

First Post
Prest0 said:
Are you aware of the RPG Objects' NPC generator?

I am aware of it, IMO the free version isnt very good. I have not put down 10$ to find out if it improves much.

My generater already has features that the RPGObjects generator does not have, like fully random characters, single click generation, and the ability to generate multiple characters at once.

However, the RPGObjects generator IS fully functional, mine isn't yet.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I'm also a fan of the "Modern Heroes" Excel generator that Rohin Joyce has been building. The latest incarnation he made alot of changes to, and added some bugs in, but it's been a great time-saver since he came out with it. I use it all of the time for quick PC generation.

I've been trying to get Wulf to strong-arm somebody into doing something similar for GrimTales, but no such luck.

--fje

Nadaka

First Post
Roudi said:
Aye, the RPGObjects Character Generator is the standard by which you should gauge your work, Nadaka. Other suggestions would be an application where new material is to input. You might also do well to promote the Generator to publishers, so that they might release updates for it pertinent to their own material, and thus help support your Generator.

That is an excellent idea, once I get the generator up and running with all the core material, ill work towards that goal.

HeapThaumaturgist said:
I'm also a fan of the "Modern Heroes" Excel generator that Rohin Joyce has been building. The latest incarnation he made alot of changes to, and added some bugs in, but it's been a great time-saver since he came out with it. I use it all of the time for quick PC generation.

I've been trying to get Wulf to strong-arm somebody into doing something similar for GrimTales, but no such luck.

--fje

kingpaul said:
Have you looked at PCGen? It has Modern support and has several of the RPGO books as datasets.

Yes I have, but it to really isnt what I am looking for. THere are several reasons I am doing this project. 1: because the other generators lack at least some useful functions. 2: because I like the challenge. 3: as a student of computer science, I need real world experience to put on my resume. 4: hopefully I can use my knowledge and experience to make something good enough for people to use.

Nadaka

First Post
It's not finished yet, but I do have it far enough along to show it off.

Short Term Goals:
1: Get the Skill ranks to add up correctly.
2: Generate characters above 1st level.
3: Add requisite testing.
4: Add feat and talent selection requires #3
5: Add non-fx advanced classes, requres #1, #2, #3, and #4

http:www.nadaka.us/ModernNPC.asp

Remove ads