[Jan] What are you reading?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Lazybones said:
The Black Powder War by Naomi Novik. She was one of the writers behind the Neverwinter Nights add-on Shadows of Undrentide, and this is the third book in a very interesting series that looks at the Napoleonic Wars in an alt-history where dragons exist (and are used in warfare by the major powers). Earlier volumes are His Majesty's Dragon and Throne of Jade.

This is a SUPERB series. Especially the first book. :D

I read the whole series yesterday. :uhoh:

Brogarn

First Post
I picked up the first three books in Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series at a used book store this weekend and am half way through the first. Entertaining stuff so far. I've liked all of the books of his that I've picked up, so this continues that trend.

Torillan

First Post
Gotrek & Felix: the First Omnibus. I have some of the original short story books from GW, but it's nice to have them all together in one bunch (I've got the 2nd Omnibus as well).

Nice blast from the past. :)

GSHamster

Adventurer
Orphans of Chaos and The Last Guardian of Everness, by John C. Wright. Both are spectactular, and I'm putting Wright on my must-read authors list.

RaceBannon42

First Post
I finished up Dragon Avenger by E.E. Knight, book two in the Age of Fire cycle.
This volume tells the story of Auron's sister Wistala. It seemed to me to have a more young adult feel than the first, although by the end of the book there certainly was a good amount of vengence being taken. I thought it was a pretty good, book, and an enjoyable enough story. Book 3 sounds like it has potential to be really good
Full review here

Started in on The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin. Only about 30 pages in so far, but its been tough to get into.

Wombat

First Post
...and utterly changing direction...

I haven't gotten The Curious Case... yet, so instead I moved on to Anthony Trollope's The Way We Live Now, an lovely acidic book of Victorian manners and lack-of-morals. Trollope is one of the best writers for describing characters -- they are so multi-faceted! :)

Enforcer said:
Wolves of the Calla (Dark Tower 5) by Stephen King. This is my first run-through of this series, and I love it so far.

Enjoy it while it lasts. The two final books were a big let-down for me. 5/7 is a good ratio; I'm just sad the bad 2/7 was the final two books in the series.

Right now I'm reading Atlas of the year 1000, the new collection of Robert E. Howard's "Solomon Kane" stories, and probably something else I'm forgetting....

Remove ads