[Jan] What are you reading?

LightPhoenix

First Post
I read the His Dark Materials series for the first time earlier in the month, and I just finished The Knight.

One thing I will say is that I had forgotten how dense and demanding Gene Wolfe is to read. He's one of my favorite authors, but I hadn't read anything by him in a long while. I know I'm definitely going to have to re-read both books again, even though I haven't started The Wizard.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Not anything published currently, but I am reading The Witches of Easting Hallow, a novel a friend of mine wrote and has sent off to a few of his close friends to read and critique before seeking publishment.

I am aptly awaiting Michael Crichton's new book, Next.

TwistedBishop

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:
Enjoy it while it lasts. The two final books were a big let-down for me. 5/7 is a good ratio; I'm just sad the bad 2/7 was the final two books in the series.

I definitely agree. Actually it was the end of Wolves that made me so disgusted that I knew the next ones would be a waste of time. (Referring to the huge climactic showdown built up in 600 pages which ends in, what, two pages? Thrilling.) I did end up reading spoilers on the last couple novels, and it reaffirmed my suspicion that King wasn't going to pay this stuff off well.

Great first four books, mostly good fifth, drek last two.

Enforcer

Explorer
Well, I can't say I'm encouraged by what I'm hearing about the rest of the Dark Tower series...oh well. I'm still gonna find out for myself.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The Aeneid and The Odyssey. Before I Say Good-Bye by Mary Higgins Clark. I've got The Founders and the Classics (by Carl J. Richard) on order. Reading Corrie Ten Boom's The Hiding Place to my students. Slowly working my way through two exhaustive collections of poetry by W. B. Yeats and Paul Laurence Dunbar, respectively.

Recently read The Mole People: Life in the Tunnels beneath New York City by Jennifer Toth, The Iliad, and Jacob S. Minkin's Herod. I heartily recommend all three.

Last edited:

Remove ads