Jane Austen/Regency flavor to throw into an adventure?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Just to throw an idea out there: the "tavern brawl" could be replaced by a duel, either physical or a duel of words. A verbal duel, I bite my thumb...but not at thee, could set the same overall tone as a brawl. Both sides insulting each other as obliquely as possible while staying within the constraints of the era.

Then when the groups encounter each other later you've got the same bruised egos as a brawl without the bruised faces. The verbal duel could even end up with a challenge to a duel that doesn't take place until the party/event where it's further postponed until the two challengers maybe encounter each other alone during the hunt for the murderer.
I like that!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
First session went great, with the players really getting into being wedding guests, both having a shopping montage to get wedding clothes and gifts before setting out and adding plunder from goblin bandits to the wedding gift supply.

Ironically, that meant the entire session was just the lead up to arriving at the site, with everyone deciding to pick up next time with the actual adventure there.

Sadly, no one got excited about a minor magic item I added to the bandit hoard, the players presumably not realizing that it might help at the wedding:

Dancing shoes
Wondrous item, common
Only humanoids can wear these shoes made of blue leather. While wearing the shoes, you have advantage on all Charisma (Performance) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks involving dancing.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Omg not blue suede!
giphy.gif

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
I love this. I don't have any particular suggestions for Austen (Dickens is more my jam), but Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is set in the same time period. Between the novel and the BBC series, it might have some interesting things to mine for flavor or set dressing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I love this. I don't have any particular suggestions for Austen (Dickens is more my jam), but Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is set in the same time period. Between the novel and the BBC series, it might have some interesting things to mine for flavor or set dressing.
Always felt that novel would be a good.basis for a sort of regency Call of Cthulu campaign (though we also have that, now).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
After the success of today's game, I'm fairly convinced that a D&D campaign with a Regency vibe (rather than a late medieval vibe, which is what D&D normally sort of approximates, but never actually simulates) would be a lot of fun. Certainly everyone would dress a lot better.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
After the success of today's game, I'm fairly convinced that a D&D campaign with a Regency vibe (rather than a late medieval vibe, which is what D&D normally sort of approximates, while never actually simulates) would be a lot of fun. Certainly everyone would dress a lot better.
That is definitely a Setting that could work but hasn't been done before, in any big way.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That is definitely a Setting that could work but hasn't been done before, in any big way.

its certainly an interesting setting, but ultimately once one expands beyond the genteel romanticism of Jane Austen style country estate it becomes problematic.
At the same time that Emma Woodhouse is trying to find Poor Harriet a husband, 2/3s of Britains peoole were living either in the squalor of urban rookeries or in the poverty of rural starvation leading to food riots. Europe in this period was dominated by the Napoleanic Wars which influenced North America too, as seen in the growth of the United States in the aftermath of its revolution, despite the continued dominance of New Spain over much of Western North America. India had come under British East India Company rule and the Ottomans dominated the Babary Coast.

Not that it shouldnt be done, there are a few games set in the Napoleanic Wars And Frankensteins monster is also a product of the same era too.

its certainly an interesting setting, but ultimately once one expands beyond the genteel romanticism of Jane Austen style country estate it becomes problematic.
At the same time that Emma Woodhouse is trying to find Poor Harriet a husband, 2/3s of Britains peoole were living either in the squalor of urban rookeries or in the poverty of rural starvation leading to food riots. Europe in this period was dominated by the Napoleanic Wars which influenced North America too, as seen in the growth of the United States in the aftermath of its revolution, despite the continued dominance of New Spain over much of Western North America. India had come under British East India Company rule and the Ottomans dominated the Babary Coast.

Sure, but it's not like the medieval times, the usual D&D inspiration, was particularly nice either. Actually even less so.

Remove ads