Jane Austen/Regency flavor to throw into an adventure?

giant.robot

Adventurer
A regency-era Ravenloft setting is something I’ve had bubbling away in the back of my mind for many years and have copious notes on. That time period is much better suited to Ravenloft’s gothic vibes than conventional d&d approximate-renaissance anyway, and many Ravenloft domains are straight from English ghost stories. One day I’ll write it up, once I’ve worked out how to do firearms properly maybe!

One thing default D&D doesn’t do well, though, is property. Many d&d characters own only what they carry, and live in inns or tents. Who you are, who your people are, where you live, whether you own land, or rent, or run a business, and how well and diligently you do any of those things - that’s all the absolute crux of most of Austen, but D&D in its standard form just doesn’t touch it.

For starters, I was going to introduce two new skill proficiencies. Society (usually Cha but sometimes Int) represents knowing etiquette and table manners, dancing fashionably and well, having good dress sense, recognising the names of prominent people, having heard the gossip, etc. Manager (Int) is about balancing a budget, knowing the law, understanding politics, being able to run a successful business or estate, etc etc.
Maybe look at a Social stat like in Traveller or even a separate track of Social Points that can be removed or recovered during the game like HP. A social attack damages SP while good social rolls can recover it. Certain activities can be gated on the amount of current SP, a social attack at the wrong time could jeopardize your invitation to the social event of the season. You could also hamstring enemies by attacking their SP when they need it most.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Maybe look at a Social stat like in Traveller or even a separate track of Social Points that can be removed or recovered during the game like HP. A social attack damages SP while good social rolls can recover it. Certain activities can be gated on the amount of current SP, a social attack at the wrong time could jeopardize your invitation to the social event of the season. You could also hamstring enemies by attacking their SP when they need it most.
Social Points sounds cool...

I'd love an entire 5e subsystem for social interactions

On a side note about Jane Austen, not enough people talk about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I've never read her works, but a dear friend told me this movie tracks with the books... with zombies added.

Remove ads