Jane Austen/Regency flavor to throw into an adventure?

Gilladian

Adventurer
Read at least ONE Georgette Heyer in the hours before the game. She invented the regency genre single-handed. The Grand Sophy would be a good choice. So would Regency Buck. Also, Vauxhall garden was potentially quite a dangerous place; a cad or a group of drunk young rakes could easily lure a young lady onto a darkened side path and ravish her, if she dared walk unchaperoned.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Sure, but it's not like the medieval times, the usual D&D inspiration, was particularly nice either. Actually even less so.

I suppose it comes down to can DnD do romance and in particular Regency style Comedy of Manners. I acknowledge that Pride & Prejudice and Zombies and Johnathan Strange and Mr Norell does Regency and magic fine.

But when youre looking at Napoleanic Europe of Sharpes Company or Horatio Hornblower or the dragons of Tremeraire, does the Regency romanticism survive or does it become something else?

Same with Frankenstein as Regency era horror and the Julian Kestrel series as Regency detective fiction

The Cornish wreckers of Jamaica Inn were Regency era too

actually I’m getting excited about this era too…

(I recall too the BlackAdder the third was also specifically focussed on the Prince Regent himself.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
its certainly an interesting setting, but ultimately once one expands beyond the genteel romanticism of Jane Austen style country estate it becomes problematic.
At the same time that Emma Woodhouse is trying to find Poor Harriet a husband, 2/3s of Britains peoole were living either in the squalor of urban rookeries or in the poverty of rural starvation leading to food riots. Europe in this period was dominated by the Napoleanic Wars which influenced North America too, as seen in the growth of the United States in the aftermath of its revolution, despite the continued dominance of New Spain over much of Western North America. India had come under British East India Company rule and the Ottomans dominated the Babary Coast.
Yeah, I think vibes is a lot better choice than simulation. Which is also the mode D&D is in generally -- I'm sure there are games that involve the lives of the subsistence farmers that populate much of most settings, but they're rare.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I suppose it comes down to can DnD do romance and in particular Regency style Comedy of Manners. I acknowledge that Pride & Prejudice and Zombies and Johnathan Strange and Mr Norell does Regency and magic fine.

But when youre looking at Napoleanic Europe of Sharpes Company or Horatio Hornblower or the dragons of Tremeraire, does the Regency romanticism survive or does it become something else?

Same with Frankenstein as Regency era horror and the Julian Kestrel series as Regency detective fiction

(I recall too the BlackAdder the third was also specifically focussed on the Prince Regent himself.)
Yeah, PCs are going to be the Tom Jones, or Barry Lyndons, or the Sharpews "going over the hill and far away" in this sort of Setting, but no Setting should be all one thing.

D&D obviously is a odd choice of a game for Regency romance, but I think we are talking about intentional weird mashup like Pride & Prejudice and Zombies. And yeah, it indeed it is a fair point, that the genre is far narrower than just the era. I feel the game should be dealing with high society shenanigans quite a bit to stay in the genre.

Last edited:

A regency-era Ravenloft setting is something I’ve had bubbling away in the back of my mind for many years and have copious notes on. That time period is much better suited to Ravenloft’s gothic vibes than conventional d&d approximate-renaissance anyway, and many Ravenloft domains are straight from English ghost stories. One day I’ll write it up, once I’ve worked out how to do firearms properly maybe!

One thing default D&D doesn’t do well, though, is property. Many d&d characters own only what they carry, and live in inns or tents. Who you are, who your people are, where you live, whether you own land, or rent, or run a business, and how well and diligently you do any of those things - that’s all the absolute crux of most of Austen, but D&D in its standard form just doesn’t touch it.

For starters, I was going to introduce two new skill proficiencies. Society (usually Cha but sometimes Int) represents knowing etiquette and table manners, dancing fashionably and well, having good dress sense, recognising the names of prominent people, having heard the gossip, etc. Manager (Int) is about balancing a budget, knowing the law, understanding politics, being able to run a successful business or estate, etc etc.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
A regency-era Ravenloft setting is something I’ve had bubbling away in the back of my mind for many years and have copious notes on. That time period is much better suited to Ravenloft’s gothic vibes than conventional d&d approximate-renaissance anyway, and many Ravenloft domains are straight from English ghost stories. One day I’ll write it up, once I’ve worked out how to do firearms properly maybe!
Check out Daniel James Hanley's Ghastly Affair for this very thing using an OSR foundation:
DriveThruRPG

Remove ads