Jemal's Anniversary Special!

dream66_

First Post
Also I noticed a couple people put Prejudice on their sheets. While prejudices are a large part of the world and can be a great complication that I would use in other games, I don't forsee it ever coming up in this more light-hearted/four color game.

Sorry I left my Prejudices on there, but added Responcibilities.

I can't really think of any other good complications about me though.

D'Raven

First Post
Okay, just spent some time talking with a mutual friend, you know who, he gave me some ideas on how to pull off a buff Mage, I'm not gonna use most of them cause they're broken as all hell, but I feel a lot better about my concept. Also got a few curve balls for my power ups that should be unexpected, but make sense. I'll try not to make you hate me too much. And by that i mean listen to our friend.

Jemal

Adventurer
[MENTION=9191]Wrahn[/MENTION]: as it says under variable "you must place descriptors on your variable limiting it's scope".
Dreams are basically unlimited. It's like saying 'the power to do anything'.
There are a few suggestions I have.
A: Use just that list. That might be enough of a limit to variable if it were 'various create/summons, plus a couple specific 'dream powers'.
B: Add further descriptive limits such as 'only what the GM says someone nearby is dreaming of' Nearby being maybe a mile or so?
C: Make an actual array of powers. This would be more limited but cheaper and easier. Exchanging a rank 5 variable for a 25 point array would net you 11 separate abilities. (Or 5 dynamic ones)
OR D: Pay more for a truly 'unlimited' variable effect.

Also a note on Create: Most of the create stuff can be made with a single use of the power. Both of your examples would fit under the same power, create doesn't need to be a specific 'object' when it's chosen. It just has a specific size limit. Multiple variations of it are only required if you want some to have different extras (Continuous, movable, impervious, stationary) on each one. Rank 8 Create with Precise and one extra modifier would be 25 points and be able to make anything up to 250 cubic feet. That's a lot. Or if you don't need any of the extras (They're all fairly circumstantial) you could just go with rank 12 Precise create for a whopping 4,000 cubic feet and if you 'need' any of the modifiers for a particular construction, use a power stunt.
*NOTE: I would always suggest precise because without it you're limited to simple geometric shapes*

Wrahn

First Post
[MENTION=9191]Wrahn[/MENTION]: as it says under variable "you must place descriptors on your variable limiting it's scope".
Dreams are basically unlimited. It's like saying 'the power to do anything'.
There are a few suggestions I have.
A: Use just that list. That might be enough of a limit to variable if it were 'various create/summons, plus a couple specific 'dream powers'.
B: Add further descriptive limits such as 'only what the GM says someone nearby is dreaming of' Nearby being maybe a mile or so?
C: Make an actual array of powers. This would be more limited but cheaper and easier. Exchanging a rank 5 variable for a 25 point array would net you 11 separate abilities. (Or 5 dynamic ones)
OR D: Pay more for a truly 'unlimited' variable effect.

Also a note on Create: Most of the create stuff can be made with a single use of the power. Both of your examples would fit under the same power, create doesn't need to be a specific 'object' when it's chosen. It just has a specific size limit. Multiple variations of it are only required if you want some to have different extras (Continuous, movable, impervious, stationary) on each one. Rank 8 Create with Precise and one extra modifier would be 25 points and be able to make anything up to 250 cubic feet. That's a lot. Or if you don't need any of the extras (They're all fairly circumstantial) you could just go with rank 12 Precise create for a whopping 4,000 cubic feet and if you 'need' any of the modifiers for a particular construction, use a power stunt.

Sorry if that reply seemed peckish. The terms of "limited" is highly subjective and I realize that dreams is a wide open effect. I saw no way to "unlimit" the variable effect in the SRD. How much would it cost to do so? I will consider my options, the Variable is pretty expensive as it is.

Jemal

Adventurer
*I also just realized that I did the exact same 'create' thing with my variable effect in someone else's campaign, which now makes me feel hypocritical and a bit silly, so I need to go change that character. :p

As to the dreams, I would first off suggest the array as i previously mentioned, I think it would do what you want.
However if you really want the 'Unlimited dream power' there's two ways to go about it. Either we could raise the cost or lower the return.
Raising the cost would mean making it 8/rank for 5 pt return, or a return of 62.5%
Lowering the return would mean 7/rank for a 4 pt return, or a return of 57%.
So raising the cost would be better for you. It still wouldn't be COMPLETELY unlimited, just much LESS limited.
If you'd like to offset that a bit you could put flaws on your dream weaving such as concentration(You have to concentrate to keep any of your dreams anchored in reality), Fades (Each time you use a dream you loose a bit of dream power until you can recharge), feedback(Any effect you make with a physical manifestation AKA create/summon would be affected by the feedback flaw), etc. A note on this though : If you apply one of these to your Variable, it would lower the cost on rank of Variable, but you would not then be able to use that cost reduction on the powers you form WITH variable.
So for example if you have a concentration flaw on unlimited variable, it would cost you 7/rank and any power within would automatically have concentration (If applicable) without gaining any further cost reduction (IE your flight rank 5 would be concentration but still cost the same as normal)
Also there would be no 'double tapping' allowed - If you already have feedback on your variable, you couldn't make a Create with feedback b/c it's already GOT feedback without the cost reduction.

Last edited:

D'Raven

First Post
If I may add my 2 cents about variable, it's not for characters that can swap out 1power for another. That is what power arrays are for. What variable is for is fluid characters. Example; muto is chasing bumble fly, bumble fly uses flight and takes off. To catch up muto loses his claws, scales and extra limbs, then grows wings and pores all his points into flight. After being caught bumble fly decides he wants to stand and fight, 100' above the street. Since muto no longer needs the speed of his max flight he removes all but the minimum points needed to stay airborne out of flight and puts those into his combat abilities growing claws and scales but leaving the wings in place just weaker. If you want to swap out powers use an array. If you want to mix and match how many power points you want in a selection of powers take variable. And an example of limitations for it would be; only physical transformations like muto above. Mind you all this is only 1 persons take on it.

My suggestion for you would be 2 or 3 identical arrays so you would have a pool of powers that you could pick combos out of. To have the, unlimited dreams aspect change the discriptions of yor powers every time you use them. You know people dream of flight, but do they all dream of it the same way? One time u might have wings, the next a jet pack, perhaps a hover board is in your future. A con of the system is that when you get down to the bones of the system it's just mechanics. When you strip away the fluff there is little difference between 2 characters with similar roles, a con shared with most point based systems. For beginners, the unimaginitive or the old guard this is a problem.

How ever if used right or with the proper mind set it is an unbelievable pro. It leaves every single aspect of fluff to you. You are not forced into any particular mold to obtain the abilities you want and are not limited to what combinations you want to have. That is why I love point based systems the freedom.

Last edited:

D'Raven

First Post
Oh the power caps are a big hurt. the only thing that this system has going for it is that throu the varible power you can make an actual shapeshifter. A real one not a shape changer that goes from one form to another but someone that can change their abilities as they will. Do you know how rare that is with out DM/gm/ story teller rewrites?

Also healing doesn't do what I thought it did, or as far as I can tell, it doesn't remove the -resestence you get for failing toughness checks, only the dazzled, stunned, knocked out or dieing. The "damage conditions" regen is the only way in the system to do it in combat. So the empathic heal lost a bit of use/flavor.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
hmm..
maybe regeneration with affects others, area(Burst), selective. Would cost 4/rank.. how about I give you a Limit: Only effects one person at a time. (I'll even give it as -2 since it's very limiting on the powers effect). That knocks it down to 2/rank, so you could buy 5 ranks of this in place of your healing and regen.

Hows this:
Regenerative Aura: Regeneration 5 (Affects others, Area:Burst, Selective, Very Limited: Only effects one at a time.) *2/rank=10 pts*.
Every other round, you or someone of your choice within 30' of you heals one degree.

An alternative that's I think would be interesting:
Regen 5 (Affects others, Area: Burst, Selective, Feedback*You take damage your aura heals*, Limited: Self or others) *2/rank=10 pts*
Every other round, you choose either to heal yourself, or allow everyone you choose within 30' of you to heal (And you gain all the damage conditions healed this way)
**heal myself, heal myself, ABSORB EVERBODY'S DAMAGE! Heal myself, Heal myself...**

Jemal

Adventurer
[MENTION=9191]Wrahn[/MENTION] : I was going over my previously mentioned variable character in another campaign, and realized that there is actually a good reason to use different forms of create rather than just one big one, that's not exploity like the 'limited' thing.
Simply put: Smaller things take less power (Ranks). Kinda 'duh' but I guess I had a moment of stupidity. So you could put all your variable into one huge item, or put just a bit into making a small item (like a sword or such) and the rest into other powers.

Apologies for saying earlier that there was no reason to take multiple create's.

Remove ads