• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford Gives an Overview of the New Unearthed Arcana

The largest Unearthed Arcana ever, with 50 pages of playtest material!

The upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest packet for One D&D gets a preview from WotC's Jeremy Crawford. This is apparently the largest of these playtest packets so far, and the biggest Unearthed Arcana they have ever done, at 50 pages long.

It contains 5 classes, new spells, new feats, a revised rules glossary, and the new weapon mastery system.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So in the current AL players' document, under the section What Rulebooks Should I use? it says "If a rule has been reprinted in a newer resource, you must always use the latest printing" so we'll see if they stick to that one or are they going consider the 2024 PHB to be a different book.

100% worth mentioning that linked document refers to Spelljammer as coming in August 2022 so it hasn't been updated to reflect the new books coming out. I wouldn't hold that as being something that can't change since it's definitely a unique circumstance and is definitely something for AL players to keep an eye on.
Worth noting that even using that, taking old Subclasses from '14 books is feasible.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Well that depends. It might not be a problem for us, the players and DM's, but it might be a problem for Wizards if we're not all jumping to buy the new books!
Sure, but I am valuing the desires of gamers over a corporation. Don't worry, I'm sure plenty of people will buy WotC's new books.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Sure, but I am valuing the desires of gamers over a corporation. Don't worry, I'm sure plenty of people will buy WotC's new books.
Unfortunately, nearly every single non-indie game is the product of a corporation. And corporations--particularly very large ones--are going to put their own interests ahead of those of individual gamers. This is simply how the world works.

So your only true options are to accept what they give you, or only play indie games. Or make your own games.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Unfortunately, nearly every single non-indie game is the product of a corporation. And corporations--particularly very large ones--are going to put their own interests ahead of those of individual gamers. This is simply how the world works.

So your only true options are to accept what they give you, or only play indie games. Or make your own games.
Quite true. That's one reason why I prefer to muck around with the smaller corps when feasible.

Remathilis

Legend
I already stated one very good reason. AL is very much about consistency of rules used. They may reverse that and turn AL into just a bunch of home games with official backing, but that seems unlikely to me. More likely is that the "compatibility" and mixing are just for home games.
AL already limits certain character options (flying races) and methods (point-buy, average hp, starting gear) and for a while limited to you a single additional sourcebook. I'd say the idea the organized play will require conversion to the latest ruleset is 1.) not unexpected 2.) not unprecedented, and 3.) not a betrayal of what WotC has meant by compatible.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So in the current AL players' document, under the section What Rulebooks Should I use? it says "If a rule has been reprinted in a newer resource, you must always use the latest printing" so we'll see if they stick to that one or are they going consider the 2024 PHB to be a different book.
That makes it almost certain that AL will be 5.5e only. Their whole premise is that these new rules are just updates and it's still 5e. They can't hold that premise and then treat the rules differently. Plus it will require AL players and DMs to buy the new books, which is what they want to happen. There is some small chance that they will walk back that rule and allow chaos to reign across AL, but I doubt it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
AL already limits certain character options (flying races) and methods (point-buy, average hp, starting gear) and for a while limited to you a single additional sourcebook. I'd say the idea the organized play will require conversion to the latest ruleset is 1.) not unexpected 2.) not unprecedented, and 3.) not a betrayal of what WotC has meant by compatible.
1) I agree.
2) I agree.
3) That wasn't anywhere on my radar with that post. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads