D&D General JMISBEST's questions. Most of them about campaign ideas that either he or A GM he knows has and wants to know what people think

JMISBEST

Explorer
What’s his name?
What abouts personality, motivations, friendship, etc. These all.matter too IMO.
I forgot to mention that its been so long since I last used him that I've forgot everything about his personality, motivation, friendship and even his name, everything I've posted is based on things I wrote about him more then 7 years ago, and almost all the notes where lost when I moved house in March last year

Reef

Hero
I forgot to mention that its been so long since I last used him that I've forgot everything about his personality, motivation, friendship and even his name, everything I've posted is based on things I wrote about him more then 7 years ago, and almost all the notes where lost when I moved house in March last year
That’s too bad! Those sorts of details are always the most interesting bits about a character’s story, not so much how many servants they randomly rolled.

JMISBEST

Explorer
That’s too bad! Those sorts of details are always the most interesting bits about a character’s story, not so much how many servants they randomly rolled.
Since in my opinion your the best person on this site for me to ask this question to, what do you think of my characters domain?

Reef

Hero
Since in my opinion your the best person on this site for me to ask this question to, what do you think of my characters domain?
I’m not sure why you would think that, to be honest. I’d much rather read about your characters themselves. Their stories, their plans and friends and adventures. I started reading about your character and once I realized it was actually just a list of random numbers, I started skimming, and then I stopped reading.

You said they earned this domain by killing a Marsh dragon while low level (something noteworthy enough to be given a domain for). That’s a story I’d love to hear!

Last edited:

JMISBEST

Explorer
I’m not sure why you would think that, to be honest. I’d much rather read about your characters themselves. Their stories, their plans and friends and adventures. I started reading about your character and once I realized it was actually just a list of random numbers, I started skimming, and then I stopped reading.

You said they earned this domain by killing a Marsh dragon while low level (something noteworthy enough to a domain for). That’s a story I’d love to hear!
What do you think of the fact that according to The GM Marsh Dragons are A Type of Dragon that is famous throughout the world for the fact that they are so weak that a group of 5 1st level adventurers on their 1st adventure can defeat A Infant Marsh Dragon, that 5 3rd level adventures can beat A Young Marsh Dragon, that 5 6th level adventurers can beat A Adult Marsh Dragon and that 5 9th level adventurers can defeat A Ancient Marsh Dragon

Reef

Hero
What do you think of the fact that according to The GM Marsh Dragons are A Type of Dragon that is famous throughout the world for the fact that they are so weak that a group of 5 1st level adventurers on their 1st adventure can defeat A Infant Marsh Dragon, that 5 3rd level adventures can beat A Young Marsh Dragon, that 5 6th level adventurers can beat A Adult Marsh Dragon and that 5 9th level adventurers can defeat A Ancient Marsh Dragon
I’d probably wonder why they weren’t extinct :).

More seriously, if they are notoriously weak, I’d wonder why killing one was noteworthy enough for someone to be awarded a domain for. Was there extenuating circumstances in this particular case? Was this dragon harder to kill than average? You’ve piqued my curiosity…

JMISBEST

Explorer
I’d probably wonder why they weren’t extinct :).

More seriously, if they are notoriously weak, I’d wonder why killing one was noteworthy enough for someone to be awarded a domain for. Was there extenuating circumstances in this particular case? Was this dragon harder to kill than average? You’ve piqued my curiosity…
You asked was this dragon harder to kill then average? and if I remember correctly it had more to do with the fact that Hanyka had stolen A Periapt of Health that was sacred to A Local Temple to The Goddess of Life and whilst in the process of stealing it Hanyka destroyed the temple and killed all the clerics that lived and I got the domain because we recovered The Periapt of Life and not because I slew Hanyka

Reef

Hero
You see, you should have led with that! That’s much more interesting than how many butlers he rolled. At least in my opinion.

I seriously like that idea. The thought that the dragon was empowered by the item, and that it had laid waste to the temple acquiring it. Makes a nice little adventure, with a perfect start and built in motivation. Especially if the players don’t realize the ramifications of the item the dragon stole. A perfect moment of horrifying realization for them mid-fight…heh.

The only question I’d have is how the dragon managed to destroy the temple and all the clerics inside if they are such pushovers. But I guess if it had surprise, and they were not actually levelled clerics, it would be possible.

Anyway, that’s a neat quest idea. I’m going to file that one away for possible future use, assuming you don’t mind. I’m always looking for neat adventure seeds.

JMISBEST

Explorer
You see, you should have led with that! That’s much more interesting than how many butlers he rolled. At least in my opinion.

I seriously like that idea. The thought that the dragon was empowered by the item, and that it had laid waste to the temple acquiring it. Makes a nice little adventure, with a perfect start and built in motivation. Especially if the players don’t realize the ramifications of the item the dragon stole. A perfect moment of horrifying realization for them mid-fight…heh.

The only question I’d have is how the dragon managed to destroy the temple and all the clerics inside if they are such pushovers. But I guess if it had surprise, and they were not actually levelled clerics, it would be possible.

Anyway, that’s a neat quest idea. I’m going to file that one away for possible future use, assuming you don’t mind. I’m always looking for neat adventure seeds.
The GM never said how The Dragon managed to destroy it but since among Hanyka's followers are 11 regular Orcs, 2 Mantari's and Mikfir whose A Orc Witch Doctor that has the abilities of both A 2nd level Wis 15/Int 12 Cleric and A 2nd level Int 14 Magic User and the adventure never said how big the temple was or how many clerics live their I'd guess that it was a very small Temple, that most of the clerics that work their where elsewhere and Hanyka's followers did most of the work

Since your going to file it away for possible use I will tell you 1 thing I initially forgot to mention that I think will help

This isn't the actual adventure The Marsh Idol that appeared in Imagine Roleplaying Magazine Issue 15 from June 1,984, rather The GM took the adventure The Marsh Idol from Imagine Roleplaying Magazine Issue 15 from June 1,984 and modified it for use in his campaign

Reef

Hero
The GM never said how The Dragon managed to destroy it but since among Hanyka's followers are 11 regular Orcs, 2 Mantari's and Mikfir whose A Orc Witch Doctor that has the abilities of both A 2nd level Wis 15/Int 12 Cleric and A 2nd level Int 14 Magic User and the adventure never said how big the temple was or how many clerics live their I'd guess that it was a very small Temple, that most of the clerics that work their where elsewhere and Hanyka's followers did most of the work

Since your going to file it away for possible use I will tell you 1 thing I initially forgot to mention that I think will help

This isn't the actual adventure The Marsh Idol that appeared in Imagine Roleplaying Magazine Issue 15 from June 1,984, rather The GM took the adventure The Marsh Idol from Imagine Roleplaying Magazine Issue 15 from June 1,984 and modified it for use in his campaign
Hey, no matter where they got inspiration from. They still turned it into a neat story. I've never heard of Imagine Magazine...guess I should look it up. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Remove ads