JollyDoc's Age of Worms (Updated 11/30, Epilogue!)

Tony Vargas

Legend
What kind of ability was the Wormy Wone's Time Stop? Something that couldn't be counterspelled or interrupted? Same with the Disjunction? It seemed like Faust interrupted his spells once or twice - if someone could've nixxed a Time Stop, that might have done it.

Completely different question. You do a good job of making your SH readable (round-by-round recountings often aren't), but it leaves me wondering if characters are throwing two and three or more spells per round, or is it that you sometimes combine a few rounds of action?

Ika_Greybeard

First Post
Tony Vargas said:
What kind of ability was the Wormy Wone's Time Stop? Something that couldn't be counterspelled or interrupted? Same with the Disjunction? It seemed like Faust interrupted his spells once or twice - if someone could've nixxed a Time Stop, that might have done it.

Completely different question. You do a good job of making your SH readable (round-by-round recountings often aren't), but it leaves me wondering if characters are throwing two and three or more spells per round, or is it that you sometimes combine a few rounds of action?

He combine's rounds to make it more Interesting but there are a few occasions that with feats you can do a Quickened cast and then Standard. That has happened quite a few times in this AP but mainly he make's adjustment to the story to make it flow better for the readers.

Joachim

First Post
paradox42 said:
Long-time-reader-first-time-poster here.

As the DM of an Epic game of my own, the thing this proves to me more than any other is the immense value of Spell Stowaway (Time Stop). If the League had had any member with that, Kyuss would not have been able to use his insta-heal tactic...

It's also broken beyond belief, and even WE have our limits.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Tony Vargas said:

Kyuss was casting Time Stop as a sorcerer. The only problem with counterspelling is that you have to ready and action to do it, and then you lose your action for that round. I think the players wanted to deal out as much damage as possible. Still, Havok did use a ring of spell battle to nix one disjunction, and Faust interrupted both a Fire Storm and a Blasphemy. It's just that if they'd spent all their time countering his spells, either he or his minions would have overwhelmed them.

Ika is right...to be pedantic in describing round by round can get boring, so I try and string related actions together to keep things flowing. I also leave out non-essential things such as "Grubber casts Bless." To much detail is also boring.

Ero Gaki

First Post
Sigh... well, I guess my group has no hope. We are also doing the Age of Worms path, and if Gfunk and company lost, then my group is screwed...

dungeon blaster

First Post
Actually, many groups have had success against Kyuss. JollyDoc definitely made this battle more difficult than the "as written" version. Considering his players aptitude for powergaming, I don't blame him. Perhaps, though, it was simply too difficult?

I am seriously considering banning Disjunction's effect on magic items. I'm also considering banning Time Stop, or limiting it to 2 rounds. It's just too good in my opinion.

R-Hero

Explorer
Arrgrr!! Two in a row!!! Jollydoc 2---R-Hero 0

Still...., Its been a fun ride. :D

(Could you imagine Hawk as Kyuss' new general in a post AoW world? It almost happened.)

JollyDoc

Explorer
dungeon blaster said:
Actually, many groups have had success against Kyuss. JollyDoc definitely made this battle more difficult than the "as written" version. Considering his players aptitude for powergaming, I don't blame him. Perhaps, though, it was simply too difficult?

I am seriously considering banning Disjunction's effect on magic items. I'm also considering banning Time Stop, or limiting it to 2 rounds. It's just too good in my opinion.

I've actually been mulling this over as well. Time Stop seems a bit broken. I may seriously limit it to two rounds, and the group has also talked about the effects of Disjunction on magic items. We discussed simply making it a powerful dispel, in which all current spells in the AoE are gone, but magic items are not affected.

Wish

First Post
I usually simply ban disjunction. It's a broken mechanic, usually resulting in a TPK.

With the Chain Dispelling, it's really not necessary. You could, perhaps make it a better version of Chain Dispelling, targeting every spell effect and item in the area, or give it a +5 bonus to the roll.

Remove ads