JollyDoc's Savage Tide-Updated 10/8!

Abciximab

Explorer
JollyDoc said:
And for those of you keeping score, we will beginning our Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords campaign weekend after next, at which point a new SH will begin!

The words I've been waiting to hear! Uh, Waiting to read, in this case. Can't wait to see how the new campaign goes and eager to see the character choices.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Hammerhead said:
How's the game that TC is running?

It's fun! We're about to wrap it up this coming weekend. I'm loving playing a saint, especially in an undead heavy adventure. We've been using the new pathfinder rules, and they're going well so far. One rule I'm incorporating into Rise of the Runelords is the 3 buff option mentioned in the Alpha 2 rules...ie, no character may have more than three spell/spell like abilities active at one time, unless they have a duration of rounds/level. Also, Dave (TC) had us choose three books we could use besides SRD. I'm going to do that as well. As Joachim pointed out, the monstrosity that was Mandi was created using close to 20 books!! Hopefully these rule changes will make things more interesting and white-knuckle around the table.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Abciximab said:
The words I've been waiting to hear! Uh, Waiting to read, in this case. Can't wait to see how the new campaign goes and eager to see the character choices.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The choices so far are a bit different from the norm.

Joachim

First Post
MONSTER

Lavinia Vanderboren stared out across Farshore Bay, a wistful smile across her face. All of her hard work was starting to pay dividends. Using the funds gifted to her by Mandi, the Vanderboren scion had managed to construct, equip, and recruit a merchant navy almost unheard of in Tashluta and the great reaches of Chult. Only the greatest merchant houses of Sembia and Calimshan could rival her fleet, and none of them had access to the previously unseen exports of the Isle of Dread. This was her first trip back to the Isle since this endeavor had started, and it was her plan to let Meravanchi know that his control, at least real control, over the colony was at an end.

As the Vanderboren maiden continued daydreaming about her appointment with the current Farshore mayor, she began to note strange wave patterns in the bay. Cocking an eyebrow, Lavinia walked to the edge of the pier she had been standing on watching the trail of bubbles that seemed to be approaching closer to the docks. Suddenly, a great gout of water erupted, and a vessel emerged from the foamy brine. Lavinia instantly recognized the caravel’s heraldry, and her smile grew broader as her heart jumped.

The Sea Wyvern had returned to Farshore.

Lavinia peered across the deck of her legion’s flagship, hoping to catch a glimpse of her old retainers. The noblewoman cocked an eyebrow when she noted only the presence of her benefactor, the elven wizardess. Nevertheless, Lavinia waved vigorously at her old friend.

Slowly, the Wyvern approached the docks, anchoring about fifty feet off of the pier that Lavinia was perched upon. Mandi returned her former employer’s greeting casually, almost flippantly. Using one her most common spells, Mandi floated from the helm and flew towards the pier. Lavinia noted the ever-present look of cold determination on the elf’s face, but also observed something different today…sadness, maybe?

Mandi landed next to Lavinia, and when the noblewoman moved closer to embrace her old friend the elf held up her hands in protest, shaking her head no. “Not today, Lavinia. This is not a friendly visit.”

Confused at the rebuff, Lavinia queried, “What are you talking about? I have not seen you for months! Many of your other comrades have been by to give their farewells, but I have not heard from you since you came to visit me before your battle with Demogorgon. Besides how could a visit between you and I not be friendly?”

“Simply,” Mandi responded, “as I am not here for sightseeing. I come to this place today to bear witness to the people of Farshore that they are now a part of my mistress’ Empire of Dread. You see, milady, I have pledged my allegiance to Iggwilv, and it is her wishes to rebuild her imperial nation starting with this island.”

Lavinia stared, mouth open, trying to comprehend Mandi’s quick pronouncement. “Wha…wha…what?! How could you have thrown your lot in with that evil witch? How could you betray all that we have worked for in establishing this community? How…”

With a wave of her hand, Mandi interrupted the noblewoman’s angry questions. “This is simple Lavinia. As I have told you before, Iggwilv is the most powerful mortal in all of the multiverse. Where better for one such as myself to learn but at the foot of the mistress. Mind you, I have no interest in imperial domination as Iggwilv does, but if I am to be one of her instruments in this endeavor, so be it.

“You see, after I visited you in Tashluta, I traveled across the planes back to her home on the Gray Wastes. Due to her efforts in helping us defeat Demogorgon and foil his plot each of we Legionnaires owed the ‘witch’ a favor. I had decided that if I could use that as an opportunity to better myself, all the better. I offered myself to be her apprentice, and she somewhat gladly accepted, even going so far as to name me her chief apprentice and the harbinger of her coming.

“She then informed me of her plans for this island. Using the power of Demogorgon’s essence, which she captured after our fight with him, she has raised Thanaclan from the depths and made that the capitol and headquarters from which her armies of demons shall flow. There is no community on this island equipped to fight such a force, and I am here now to accept Farshore’s unconditional surrender.

“This place, once under my mistress’ control, will serve as her chief naval port. Now, of course, some of the inhabitants here who could prove to be troublesome in the future will not survive this takeover. However, the remainder, including the mongrelman labor force, will be allowed to live.”

Lavinia struggled to absorb all of the information just presented to her. “What of the money you gave me to start trade with this island? Was that all just for nothing now? How can you be a part of this evil?”

The elf slowly nodded. “Yes, Lavinia, that was a sticking point with me. Originally, you were to be among the first to be murdered because of your rebellious nature and your resourcefulness…Iggwillv believed that you would be amongst those to resist her ascension. However, after much coaxing on my part, Iggwilv was convinced that you may actually be more useful to her alive.

“At my request, Iggwilv is willing to offer you exclusive rights to trade back and forth with the Empire of Dread. Any vessels not flying your standard, or the standard of my lady, will be sunk on sight. You should appreciate that this opportunity will afford you a chance at great wealth for you and your family. This deal, as is Iggwilv’s wont, is going to be fairly one-sided of course, but you will never have to worry about your financial position ever again.”

Lavinia snarled. “How magnanimous of you and your ‘mistress’. What if I refuse this offer? Or what if I later turn on her great empire?”

With a sigh, Mandi answered coolly, “Then Iggwilv will give me the order to find you, and have you exterminated.” Lavinia waited to hear Mandi say, ‘an order which I would refuse.’

Those words never came.

“What have you turned into, Mandi? What kind of anger and hate has made so cold…such a monster?”

Mandi flinched at the words. It was apparent to Lavinia that she had been stung, and not because she disagreed but rather because the wizardess knew it to be true. Mandi slowly began to walk away from the noblewoman. With her back turned, she told the lady, “You should hope to never see me again. Once this initial unpleasantness has ended, Iggwilv will expect your caravels to begin carrying good to and from this island. This is farewell…I have a meeting with a certain Meravanchi to attend, after which you will not want to be here.”

The wizardess’ skin began to turn red, and her body grew in size sprouting wings, claws, horns, and a tail. As Lavinia watched as the now-pit fiend flew toward the town hall. Noting the finality in the elf’s voice, Lavinia knew that Iggwilv’s horrors were about to be witnessed first-hand by her old political rival.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Mandi saw to it that Meravanchi did not die slowly. The wizardess was surprised, however, when she realized that she was not enjoying the task at hand. She had long thought that holding gobs of the bastard’s viscera in her claws would be gratifying, or that his gurgling pleas for mercy (and later, death) would warm her spirits. This was the man chiefly responsible for her sorrow, but she was taking no joy from her work, no joy from watching the man feebly try to keep his guts inside his body, no joy from his cowardly screams.

Finally, when she had had enough, Mandi ended her adversary’s life by her most ‘conventional’ means, a green disintegration ray. The elf had believed that she would expel some of her inner demons with the killing, but all she could concentrate on were Lavinia’s last words to her.

‘Yes, Lavinia…I am a monster. You ask how I could do this, and you have your answer there…this is what monsters do.’

Using the telepathic bond she had established with Iggwilv’s general, the wizardess contacted the cambion force waiting back at Thanaclan. Her order was simple.

“Begin the invasion of Farshore.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mandi entered Iggwilv’s study in the palace of Thanaclan. There, the mighty witch was busy poring over maps and intelligence reports with her arcanoloth apprentices, as well as one newcomer, one that Mandi had to force herself from not disintegrating…again.

Nulonga, formerly of Demogorgon’s service, had humbly come before Iggwilv after his former master had been destroyed. Pledging his allegiance to her, Iggwilv decided not to destroy him as she found his derangement entertaining, specifically his fetish for self-multilation. He had become a loyal, if somewhat sniveling, apprentice to the witch, gaining a rank just behind Mandi herself.

The arcanoloths had not been so lucky. Remembering their slights against her during the first encounter, Mandi destroyed two of them during her first week as Iggwilv’s apprentice. Periodically, she would destroy another just to remind them who had their mistress’ favor. Iggwilv found the murders to be somewhat humorous, just so long as things didn’t get ‘out of hand’.

Without acknowledging Mandi’s entry or raising her eyes, Iggwilv asked, “So…what news of Farshore?”

“It is done, milady. Farshore is under your banner now. They were caught totally surprised, and could not put up a resistance. Minimal human casualties to report, outside of those you had targeted.”

The witch nodded her head. “Excellent. What of your pet, that Vanderboren girl?”

“She will capitulate to our terms. She knows what the penalty for noncompliance will be, and she would rather be alive and wealthy than dead.”

Again, Iggwilv nodded her head. “Good. You know, Mandi, I have no need for trade with the mainland. I am letting the girl live solely because of your pleas for her life. If she fails me, or if she causes me trouble, you will answer for her transgressions. I hope that she’s worth it.”

“I understand.”

Iggwilv looked up to meet Mandi’s gaze. “Now join us as we plan our next moves. I have a mind to send you as an emissary to Zhentil Keep. The new High Executioner Amal may be receptive to an alliance…”

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mandi stared back at her student, a young halfling, judging his response to the story of her many conquests with Lavinia’s Legion and their triumph over the Prince of Demons. As with all elves, the years had been kind to the wizardess, but after over 200 years of life her hair was starting to gray, and slight wrinkles were beginning to be apparent.

“And so it was. I served as Iggwilv’s apprentice for over fifty years. During the times of her greatest conquests I was her herald of doom. Where I visited, nations quaked, because they knew that Death followed shortly behind me. Once Iggwilv’s lust for expansion had been slaked, the Empire of Dread had become the single most feared nation on the face of Faerun.

“Then, everything changed. A great plague, the feared Spell Plague, struck the world, killing the most powerful entities and castrating even the most dominant of realms. In the blink of an eye, thousands of years of history, civilization, and development had been set asunder. The wilds between each city became infested with hordes of creatures, making kingdoms incapable of functioning. Each city or community receded unto itself, acting as a ‘point of light’, for lack of better words, in the darkness. Iggwilv’s empire was likewise afflicted. Even with her countless armies herself, she was incapable of stopping this coming tide.

“Deities perished, some inexplicably, to be replaced by inferior beings wearing the mantle of ‘gods’. Even the Weave, so well-established and elegant, was torn apart. Magic would never be the same again, and it was with this latest development that I chose to leave, lest I be afflicted by the great Plague’s effects. To put it mildly, the Faerun that I knew and had been a part of for so long had been destroyed and what it had been replaced with was, to me, dull and lifeless.

“So using Iggwilv’s expansive library of the many alternate Prime Material Planes, I located this place. With her consent, I left Faerun forever, leaving it to the few who wished to remain. My Legionnaire comrades were long dead at this point, having met their end on the business end of a monster’s claws or through the depredations of old age, but if they had been alive I would have gladly brought them with me.

“In my studies I recognized that this world was relatively young, but vibrant and seated with vast yet untapped potential. Riding aboard the Sea Wyvern, I plowed through the many planes to get here. Quietly, and after a several years of effort, I became the head of the School of Shaping here at our little Acadamae with no one having any clues as to who I am or what I am truly capable of.

“And now, here you are, offering yourself to be my apprentice. I figured it was only polite if you were going to do that then you should at least know my story. With this full disclosure, are you certain that you are willing to learn from me?”

The halfling thought silently for a moment. After several seconds, he nodded his head.

Mandi smiled. “Excellent. Now, you are dismissed.” The halfling stood and turned towards the door, at which point Mandi spoke again, “Now…I don’t have to tell you what happens to you if you breathe one word of any of this to another soul, do I?” The halfling looked back, gulped, and nodded his head before scurrying back to class.

The wizardess chuckled, and turned in her chair towards the windows. Even if he did tell anyone they wouldn't believe that their dottering old teacher had once slain a Prince of Demons.

Looking at the trees in the Acadamae groves, she noted that the leaves were beginning to turn color.

‘My,’ she thought, ‘Korvosa certainly is beautiful this time of year.’

Last edited:

Zurai

First Post
Joachim said:
‘My,’ she thought, ‘Korvosa certainly is beautiful this time of year.’

Oh, very nice. It'd be even nicer if you were going into Curse of the Crimson Throne next, but still very nice indeed. That should make things interesting.

carborundum

Adventurer
Nice finish Joachim!
My automatic update emails seem to have stopped again, so I missed it first ... oh, it's only been a few hours.

Can't wait for the Runelords :)

gfunk

First Post
Rich, that epilogue was truly a delight to read. The precedent for heroines turning bad at the end of campaigns is certainly present (wink, wink) but the irony of Mandi's ultimate decision was delicious. Still she stayed honorable (at least to Lavinia) which was a nice touch.

The best part of your epilogue, however, has got to be the end. The whole thing is just one awesome double entendre that skirts the NDA so well that I had to read it again. Indeed Faerun was torn asunder by the opening of the Far Realms and will never be the same . . . *sigh*

I'm sure that Mandi's "alternate" Prime will provide (I hope) years of additional fun and adventure.

Cheers!

JollyDoc

Explorer
Very nicely done, Rich! I'm humbly impressed. To the readers, I was not privy to the details of Mandi's epilogue, so it was much a surprise and delight to me as to you. With players and imaginations like these, how can the future exploits of our group fail to entertain with shock and awe??

Until next time, thank you one and all for your patronage. If not for all of you, these little labors of love would not be worth it.

JD...out... :cool:

Remove ads