JollyDoc's Shackled City: FINAL POST [Updated 11/2!!]

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
I have to chime in and say Ditto's on the thanks guys. Some of my favorite Story Hours have an ending. Others just die off waiting for posts to happen again, I really appreciate that you finished up and posted an epilogue. If you ever do get around to writing again, post here with the new Story Hour link to make finding it easier. Good luck and good gaming to all of you.

GW

doktorziplok

First Post
first, lemme say, excellent read. really. i've enjoyed the story from start to finish, top notch.

second, i certainly hope i'm not stepping on any toes here, but i have compiled this awesome story hour into pdf format.

unfortunately, i lack the ability to add bookmarks and other nice features. it should do as an interim copy until someone with the right tools can do the job.

Last edited:

gfunk

First Post
All of your comments are really appreciated -- I enjoyed reading posts from both long-time posters and lurkers whom I've never seen before!

Dr. Ziplok -- Thanks so much for making that PDF, but I can't seem to download it b/c the link is dead.

doktorziplok

First Post
oops! sorry, i fixed the link. i had to move it to a geocities acct, i don't know how much bandwidth they allow. click the link, you'll go to a page that has the story hour on it, geocities is incredibly limiting, but i'm working with the tools i've got. again, link fixed and i'll repeat myself. if anyone can host it better, by all means.

again, guys, thanks for doing this story hour, way cool.

let me know if this is out of line, but if someone's got the ability to create pdf's with bookmarks i can send them the original compilation to save some prep work. it's just that i'm running a mac which has the innate ability to save as pdf, but it lacks any "advanced" formating features.

Last edited:

gfunk

First Post
Great job doktorziplok! Please email me the original compilation at gfunk6266@yahoo.com

I appreciate the fine effort you put forth with the ToC and the page #'s! Who'd have thought that our humble story hour would stretch to over 400 pages?

I would like to do some re-formatting of JD's early posts (which seem to be paragraph-challenged) as well as add in some additional goodies.

Last edited:

doktorziplok

First Post
gfunk-

i just emailed you three versions (same content, different formats). the email subject is something like "shackled city story hour from enworld." hopefully you'll be able to work with at least one of them.

as you noted, i didn't touch the formatting other than to insert a page break after each entry and i left a blank page between each chapter (although i noted them as "books" instead of chapters). and yeah, wow, 480+ pages.

also, under the "ASYLUM" section, i couldn't find the first part, "red dawn (prequel)." i don't know if that was intentionally removed or what. in any case, i left that off the compilation's ToC.

Nightingale 7

First Post
Hi there peope.One of the old posters here,though I have degraded to the position of a lurker now.I didn't plan that to happen,but I had a lot of personal things to take care off.I did keep regular readings of the updates of my favourite SH,though,and I'm saddened to see it end :( .All good things do,I suppose ;) .
Anyway,I wanted,at risk of becoming cliched,to say a big THANK YOU to the authors and players that made this beautiful story possible :) .
I also hope against hope that Gfunk finds the time to post updates in some way or other,infrequent as they may be.No need to rush G ;) !
At the very least,pop by at frequent intervals to at least show us the new,interesting characters you've made.Perhaps I can survive without the SH,but go hep me,I NEED to see the twinked monstrosities of Gfunk and Joachim vie for dominance in yet another campaign :lol:

GIVE THEM HELL JD!!! :p

Solarious

Explorer
I agree. One can always use more advice on how to scatter your opponents, drive them all before you, and hear the lamentations of their women (and men, because this is equal opportunity lamentation! :] Everyone knows its best in a large chorus, the bigger the better.)

On the other hand, it is always interesting to hear what happens to a party after the adventures are all over: one of my favorite parts of a story! The epilogue is truly a wonderful thing.

One must know how you do in the current module! One forsee many nasty surprises that could be stacked against you... :] And Jolly should have no problem giving you a 'jolly' time. :] And if he does, gimmie his address and I'll peel his toenails off his feet for ya. :]

Richard Rawen

First Post
Finished!

heh heh, what a RIDE !

Just finished your SH, bandwagon or not:
THANKS! I've been waiting for a week and a half (as I've poured myself into reading this SH exclusively trying to get caught up) and it has been great! To all those that have contributed, from writers to drop-in players, Thank You for the great story!

Also, I have been copying the SH over to ms word faithfully so if anyone wants I can .rar the four .doc files (ranging from 179k to 128k compressed) and email them. Just bug me at seeker4 at gpcom dot net
The files contain the complete story, however I edited out any non-story posts so, sorry, no comments or stat blocks or anything else not directly included in a narative post. The only big changes I made were when something was brought up specifically addressing a confusion or misunderstanding that was corrected by the author(s) yet not corrected in the post... so I went back and clarified/corrected.
[Disclaimer: I made a few minor corrections to grammer due to my inherent A*** Rententive nature... nothing more than a rearranged sentence structure I assure you.]

As mentioned above, it is so refreshing to read a FINISH to a Major SH... and you guys definitely qualify in the Major League. Looking forward to your next endeavor - and yes, I believe you have the writing bug now so it is just a matter of 'when', not if - I hope :)

Blessings,
Richard
M < > <

edit:rebalanced chapter distribution over 4 files to make better stop points and even out file sizes

Last edited:

JollyDoc

Explorer
Richard Rawen said:
heh heh, what a RIDE !

As mentioned above, it is so refreshing to read a FINISH to a Major SH... and you guys definitely qualify in the Major League. Looking forward to your next endeavor - and yes, I believe you have the writing bug now so it is just a matter of 'when', not if - I hope :)

Blessings,
Richard

Wait for it....

Remove ads