JollyDoc's Shackled City: FINAL POST [Updated 11/2!!]

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Well, I've been here since the original thread and the original Pez. It has been a great story and a wonderful read.

I am on pins and needles waiting for your epilogue, gfunk. The longer it is, the better: I don't want this story hour to end. ;)

Lela

First Post
jeremy_dnd said:
Well, I've been here since the original thread and the original Pez. It has been a great story and a wonderful read.

I am on pins and needles waiting for your epilogue, gfunk. The longer it is, the better: I don't want this story hour to end. ;)

I've been around since the original story hour--hail Joachim!--and I couldn't agree more. This is one of those events that I both loath and yern for. Gfunk, JollyDoc, Joachim, before the end, I bow to your achievements and thank you for sharing them with us.

gfunk

First Post
EPILOGUE

Around them stood the jungle hell of Turmish. Rusty's plane shift deposited them, expectedly, hundreds of miles from their intended destination.

They were isolated from civilization -- the perfect place to carry out their plan away from prying eyes.

Tilly struck first, plunging his blades into his former friend's back. Disconcertingly, he had to direct his lunge slightly to the side to avoid being struck by Rusty's severed and exposed spinal column.

Without a hint of pain or fear in his eyes, the dwarf began casting but his spell, and his neck, were cut short by Grimm's spiked chain. As Tilly withdrew his weapons, the dwarf's headless body crumbled to dust.

Wordlessly, they began to gather the Cleric's belongings as Dalthon prepared to teleport them directly to Red Gorge.

-------------------------------------

Patrons stared in wonder at the half-ogre in the corner of the Redhead Miner’s Inn, as he downed yet another round of ale. Grimm had become a fixture in Red Gorge over the last several months, serving alternatively as a bouncer, the head of the town's militia, and a raging alcoholic.

The nightmares had come slowly at first and were not unexpected. He still bore the Smoking Eye after all, despite an effort at removing it (Jenya had managed to regenerate the eye, though the smoke never ceased bellowing forth). However, the dreams had worsened in intensity to the point where he could hardly get any rest. He spent sleepless nights simply staring into the star-filled sky -- knowing that Adimarchus would someday return for him, for them.

For now, Grimm guessed that the Demon Prince was concerned with rebuilding the shattered remains of Occipitus and his revenge against the hated Grazz'zt. The plans of immortals were long, convoluted and inscrutable by mortal beings. However, in his heart of hearts, the Planar Champion felt that his spiked chain would clash with the Ashen Blade in time.

Fortunately, he had been able to channel his mounting fear and frustration into a shield for the innocent and defenseless. With nominal help from the Chruch of Tyr, Grimm had personally repelled assaults from no fewer than five humanoid tribes eager to take advantage of the chaos swirling around Cauldron's destruction. His successes in this regard coupled with his sterling reputation as a member of the Bright Axes led to acceptance of his newly acquired vice by the citizens of Red Gorge.

In a few weeks, he would return again to Jenya's scrying pool to confer with the other Bright Axes -- most of whom had spread out over Faerun. They would compare notes and consider the most dreaded possibility -- the return of the Prince of Madness. Until then, Grimm's life would be drenched alternatively in the blood of his foes and the strongest of dwarven brews.

The picture was one of a kind -- a magnificent rendering of an astral deva in mid-flight, her glorious wings bearing her aloft amidst a blue, cloudless sky.

It was all he had left of his celestial heritage.

Still, Dalthon wondered would have been if Nidrama had survived Entropy's assassination and joined them in their journey to Carceri. In one of life's great ironies the Sorcerer was forced to conclude that they probably would not be alive today. Sadly, the only thing that allowed them to survive a battle they had no business living through was the madness and raw power of the Alienist.

That reality was particularly difficult to bear.

Unlike Grimm, whom he saw often in Red Gorge, Dalthon's time was consumed with the study of arcane lore. In particular, his focus was on the legacy of Spellmason and his celestial heritage. He hoped to someday shield the community from interference by evil outsiders just as his ancestor had done generations ago. Of course, stopping demons such as Glabrezus seemed but hedge magic compared to the sheer power of Adimarchus.

His research had prompted Dalthon to suggest the bi-yearly meetings among the Bright Axes. Furthermore, he scryed upon his fellow adventurers on occasion using hair samples they left behind. If ever they were in mortal danger he would recall them with a bracelet of friends around his wrist -- each Bright Axe carried a recall bead for that very purpose. Dalthon sincerely hoped that he would never need to trigger these, but he feared the worst.

Kiko thanked Ilmater for everyday he walked under the bright sun and the blue, open skies of the Prime Material Plane. His time among the monasteries of Cormyr in meditation and contemplation had given him an added sense of perspective after the monumental battle they fought in Carceri.

Though he had been slain quickly and therefore was only told later of Nidrama's betrayal and Adimarchus' escape, Kiko carried a great deal of guilt on his shoulders. Had he not succumbed to the Demon's clawed gauntlet, perhaps he could have made the difference. Certainly, he could have disarmed the Ashen Blade perhaps sparing Rusty's life and preventing his animation as a revenant.

Nevertheless, he reminded himself, he was in a land that was twice destroyed in recent months -- first by an undead horde and then by a Githyanki invasion. The horrors that Cormyr's citizens suffered were no less than his own and besides, he was far more capable of bearing such burdens than they. Indeed he was fortunate.

Kiko had donated all of his considerable wealth to the various monasteries he visited, which then sent the money to the needy of the Forest Nation. That comforted him somewhat -- for he had much negative karma to atone for. Though he had accomplished many good deeds in his life, releasing an imprisoned Demon Prince upon the world was a tremendous evil.

He wondered which would come first -- his atonement through continued good works or another battle to right the wrong they had committed.

Normally, unregistered practioners of the "art" were caught and summarily executed by the Shadow Thieves. Robbery, blackmail, and larceny had been institutionalized for a long time in Amn and competition from "small business" proprieters was not appreciated.

However, they feared Maple Wayfarer.

Agents who were sent to stop her unauthorized activities routinely went missing. Diviniation magic had generally shown them to be deceased though their equipment and corpses were never recovered. Larger strike forces had met similar fates.

Amn was a big city, the guild leaders had decided, too big to continue to waste agents on one female who, in truth, was stealing but the smallest fraction of their business.

The Shadow Thieves could not know that Maple's guardian angel -- as it was -- was her husband, one Tilly Wayfarer. They could not know that unlike the rogues and cut-purses common to his race, Tilly's skill had been honed against giants, dragons, and evil outsiders of tremendous power.

No thief in the city could hope to walk away unless Tilly wanted them to.

He preferred this anonymity, guarding Maple discreetly and allowing her to conduct their operations in public. His face always registered a tight smile when he thought of the time that she toiled incognito in Cauldron while he was gallivanting around the Planes.

However, there was another reason to stay hidden -- even to employ powerful magic to augment his already great stealth -- and that reason had four tentacles coming out of it and bore an Ashen Blade. One of the Bright Axes would be attacked in the future, Tilly guessed, but he was sure as hell going to stack the deck against it being him.

Thousands of tons of cooled lava was but a minor obstacle to an Elder Earth Elemental, as the ancient creature burrowed through the rock with ease. Jzadirune, the underground kingdom of the gnomes was open to the surface again.

Ike relished the opportunity to clear out the remaining skulks, grells, and duergar from the tunnels -- setting off several remaining traps as he did so. Not one for much contemplation, the Goliath found it easy to submerge himself in his work -- throwing off the spectres of their defeat by Adimarchus.

Meanwhile, Gunther had seen to the logistics of making Jzadirune into a viable dwarven stronghold. The Theurge had originally found Kazmojen's throne room and decided to use it as his own personal study -- abjuring it with several powerful wards. Once a place where slaves were trafficked, it was now littered with various blueprints and sketches. Like Ike, he had little time to consider matters other than the ones directly at hand.

Rusty, it seemed, had enough emotional trauma for all three of them. Not only had he been slain by the Demon, but he had been killed again as a revenant by the Bright Axes -- not that he faulted them for it, of course.

However, being one of the living dead had unmasked a level of rage and hatred that the Cleric never knew that he was capable of. Also, after his second "death" he found it somewhat disconcerting to be in the presence of the Bright Axes -- preferring the company of strangers instead. To that end, he scoured the surrounding towns, recruiting dwarves for his new kingdom.

Besides the fear of Adimarchus, Rusty had another lingering fear -- Entropy. The Alienist had made it abundantly clear that he was to remain a revenant forevermore. It was not uncommon for him to awaken in a cold sweat, just as the Claw of the Revenancer closed around his face. He hoped that either would strike soon -- he did not wish to put his newly acquired subjects at risk.

"Corruption, decay, death, and nothingness is upon us Mistress Entropy."

She looked at the Kry'i'zoth with utter contempt. Though he was an accomplished Transmuter and served her well, his penchant for sarcasm and stating the obvious was beginning to get on her nerves. However, some things are worth the trouble and Houshang definitely fell into that category.

Allies were in particularly short supply with the destruction of her Undying Temple and its myriad undead inhabitants. Lolth, it seemed, had come back with a roaring vengeance as her drow -- repelled in their forays onto the surface world -- returned to reclaim their supremacy of the Underdark. Entropy did not really mind as administering her denizens was becoming a bore and she longed for a change again.

Her own actions had brought about tremendous change in the Realms. Cormyr had been destroyed twice over, the Dales were in financial ruin from massive, prolonged warfare, and the area around the Moonsea in political turmoil.

All was at it should be.

Kyuss was stirring in the Void.

Beware the dawn of the Age of Worms.

Last edited:

gfunk

First Post
Thanks everyone for your praise. I know it is cliche to say that we all write Story Hours for ourselves and our group -- so I won't. I wrote this SH for the loyal fans who have stuck with us over the last few years. You'll never know how encouraging even a simple compliment or comment was in helping the authors push on to the next update.

Writing these things is definitely draining and only the accolades of of our fellow gamers makes it worthwile.

It is for this reason, sadly, that I have decided to decline to continue with an Age of Worms SH. Before I started Asylum I was very excited and ready to get writing. But now, again, I feel the pressure of writing updates in a timely manner and with a quality that you have come to expect from JD, Joachim and me.

Anyway, I am eager to read your comments and to all of you lurkers -- I encourage you to come out and say your piece (positive or negative) to this, our last hurrah.

Thanks everyone!

Nephtys

First Post
And thanks to you. Your stories have been very entertaining. It's great to read a story where the good guys don't always win. Entropy is an inspiration for us all.

JollyDoc

Explorer
I want to echo G's sentiments, and thank all of our suporters, whether you be a vocal enthusiast, or a patient lurker. G and I were discussing the fact that having an ongoing story hour seemed to bring out even better role-playing among our group because everyone knew their exploits would soon be in print for the world to read about. Your insights have made us better gamers. My thanks also to my "boys", the players, both past and present, who have made it a joy (and sometimes a headache) to DM and continue playing this game that I first discovered 25 years ago. Special thanks to Richard and Gautham, for lending their literary talents to this hughe endeavor. I, like Gfunk, also feel that familiar itch to sit down and begin writing again...but then I just have a stiff drink until the feeling passes. But who knows? There is always tomorrow.

JollyDoc

Joachim

First Post
So our band of intrepid adventurers have made it to the end. While the ending might not have been victory for the good guys, it's not the destination that counts, but the journey.

Having contributed to probably less than 10% of the actual story posts, I can't call this mine, but I enjoyed being able to write when I did. Kudos to Gfunk and Jollydoc, who spent countless hours crafting the tale.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to put the final touches on my 1 billionth character. For whatever reason, mine have this nasty habit of dying...

Sincerely,

Richard Mickwee

aka Alphar, Joachim, Amal, Salazar, Gardrid, Ajax, Grimm, Gideon, and now Giovanni

Last edited:

CrusadeDave

First Post
Joachim said:
So our band of intrepid adventurers have made it to the end. While the ending might not have been victory for the good guys, it's not the destination that counts, but the journey.

I think it's a GREAT ENDING. It's crying out for one of two things:

a) An Epic level Epilogue where the PC's band back up together after a few years to right their mistake.

or b) A switch to a Midnight-type setting, where Adimarchus wastes all of your PC's one by one, and takes over, thus needing your new PC's to save the world.

The ending reminds me of Empire Strikes Back. And I LOVE that ending.

Joachim said:
Now if you will excuse me, I have to put the final touches on my 1 billionth character. For whatever reason, mine have this nasty habit of dying...

aka Alphar, Joachim, Amal, Salazar, Gardrid, Ajax, Grimm, Gideon, and now Giovanni

If Giovanni goes, may I suggest a Soulblade, manifesting as rectangular Shruiken to be thrown?

Hey, I can't believe your story is finally told! It's true that it's not a Hollywood ending (and the lived happily ever after…) but that has never been your style, has it?

I could respect your decision for choosing not to write a SH for the Age of Worms campaign, if not for the last paragraph of your epilogue (and I think I speak at least for a part of your readership in this): We know a teaser when we set it!

:D But let there be praise for the completion of the epic: Thank you for putting in all those hours of your time, even in phases when you had a lot to do in real life (e.g. marrying someone ;) )! I have greatly enjoyed your adventures! Having so many of your group comment here in the forum also helped provide an atmosphere you otherwise only get at the gaming table - and you could tell you guys had fun gaming! That and also the humor you constantly brought into the story.
I should not forget all the background info and details you provided, e.g. all the character builds or the nice and updated table of contents! All of your characters were interesting and fun to watch as they progressed - who could forget Gardrid, the battlerager with the orange Mohawk!

Having read your exploits from back when Joachim and Entropy were still … allies, if not friends, I loved the concept that the old characters could sometimes be reactivated or were still around as NPCs. After all, that is what let's your campaign setting grow. That I have a soft spot for Entropy, I think is no secret… ;)
That is also where I disagree with CrusadeDave. A showdown for the Bright Axes is a possibility, but not a necessity. I would love to see an occasional "guest appearance" of, let's say, a certain spiked chain wielding bouncer or a brothel-proprietor-turned-alienist.

Anyway, gfunk, JollyDoc, Joachim and the rest: Thank you once more, and I hope that this has not been the last we hear of you! There are some things I would like to see in the future (if I were to write a Christmas list, this would be on it):

- A SH of your AoW campaign or at least a short summary of the modules that you've finished. There could be a less draining / time consuming way to give us at least the basic story…
- A compilation of your Shackled City SH.
- Your commentary when you win back your title as best gaming group, next year.

We shall see, if you get around to any of this... ;)

Regards,
Ingmar

knight_isa

First Post
I'm generally one of the "patient lurkers," but I want to speak up and say thanks for this story hour. It's been great, I've really enjoyed it, and I'm sorry to see it end. Thanks for all the hard work! It will be missed.

Remove ads