JollyDoc's Shackled City: FINAL POST [Updated 11/2!!]

Suldulin

First Post
gfunk said:
And at the risk of a major spoiler, let me say that the way "Asylum" ended was not exactly the stuff of heroic legend . . . :eek:

heh, have any of your stories ended as 'the stuff of heroic legend' always seem to be tragedies they do but always a fun read :p

JollyDoc

Explorer
Suldulin said:
heh, have any of your stories ended as 'the stuff of heroic legend' always seem to be tragedies they do but always a fun read :p

Such is often the fate of a "real-life" D&D game. Our Age of Worms campaign just suffered its first, permanent fatality...and yes, you guessed it, it was Joachim's PC Gideon, aka Angel, the aasimar favored soul. He went down in a blaze of glory while fighting a mind-flayer sorcerer. The illithid had a couple of creatures called octopins working with it, and they had the ability to rend. Young Gideon got too close, and suffered a claw/claw/rend combo, followed up by an empowered lightning bolt from the sorcerer. Farewell brave traveller! May Tyr hold you forever in his one, good hand!

Is this adventure path as deadly as the last one? Do you like it better, so far?

Joachim, what's your new candidate? Half-Drow Ithilid hunter? A new dwarven battlerager? A *gasp* cleric?

catdragon

Explorer
JollyDoc said:
Such is often the fate of a "real-life" D&D game. Our Age of Worms campaign just suffered its first, permanent fatality...and yes, you guessed it, it was Joachim's PC Gideon, aka Angel, the aasimar favored soul. He went down in a blaze of glory while fighting a mind-flayer sorcerer. The illithid had a couple of creatures called octopins working with it, and they had the ability to rend. Young Gideon got too close, and suffered a claw/claw/rend combo, followed up by an empowered lightning bolt from the sorcerer. Farewell brave traveller! May Tyr hold you forever in his one, good hand!

I don't suppose anyone is chronicling this on-line are they?

JollyDoc

Explorer
Neverwinter Knight said:
Is this adventure path as deadly as the last one? Do you like it better, so far?

I like this adventure path more so far, but it has been less deadly...the only two deaths have been Brian's (aka Rusty) rogue, who was raised, and now Richard's (Joachim) favored soul. This could be due to the fact that we have a steady group of 8 players, although I am scaling up each adventure so that it will be more of a challenge.

JollyDoc

Explorer
catdragon said:
I don't suppose anyone is chronicling this on-line are they?

Alas, no, although I won't say I haven't been sorely tempted. I just don't think I have it in me this soon after the completion of this past SH.

Joachim

First Post
Neverwinter Knight said:
Joachim, what's your new candidate? Half-Drow Ithilid hunter? A new dwarven battlerager? A *gasp* cleric?

Well, I have recently become enamored by the Warlock class, and I can't figure out if its underpowered and useless or completely broken. Usually I have a very good sense for this sort of thing, especially in recognizing the stinkers. Time for experimentation, as no one in the group has attempted a warlock beyond very low levels. I am trying to prove to myself that it is a playable class in a high-powered combat-heavy game (such as we play), and I will report to y'all when I have sufficient data. Using spell-like abilities at will, even those that are less powerful than wizard spells at comparable levels, it very intriguing.

Gideon was not a very powerful character (he was probably the weakest in the group as it came to sheer combat power), but was a lynchpin in the party because of his superior healing/buffing/mobility. It will be interesting to see how the party adjusts and responds to his absence, which frankly is one of the major reasons that I am not making another cleric. I enjoy, even revel, in playing the healer role...a role that all too often the powergamers and optimizers of the world both ridicule and despise. The party composition will now be:

Dwarven tank (extremely defensive)
Goliath Cleric (melee heavy)
Aasimar Paladin (balanced offense and defense)
Human Marshal/Fighter/Paladin (trip-, disarm-monkey)
Drow Wizard (electricity blaster)
Fire Genasi Wizard (fire blaster)
Human Rogue (ranged build)
Now, Human Warlock (eldritch blast concentration)

Should be interesting.

So the party is putting all of its faith in the Goliath Cleric... How does he dispense healing - with his greatclub?

"I, Ike, grant you heal power of Hughsomosch" - hits PC on the head with greatclub, new hps = cure light (4 + 1 =) 5 - damage (5 + 4 =) 9 = -4.

Sorry, Ike...

Remove ads