Joss Whedon Allegations: The Undoing of the "Buffy" Creator

Hex08

Hero
Yup, Joss Whedon has shown himself to be a pretty crappy person. If it were only one or two people calling him (or anyone) out, then maybe it's just conflicting personalities and different perceptions of the situation. When it's a whole lot of people then the odds are good that he's the ass he's being made out to be.

That said, I can't fathom why people suddenly decide that they can't watch his previous work because of the revelations. The work is still the work and its quality hasn't changed since Joss was outed as a jerk. I still love and frequently rewatch Firefly and Avengers and Joss being a cruel person doesn't change the quality of the shows. I'm sure if went back and rewatched Buffy I would probably still enjoy it. I worry that the feel of The Nevers is going to drastically change (if it comes back) without Joss.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yup, Joss Whedon has shown himself to be a pretty crappy person. If it were only one or two people call him (or anyone) out, then maybe it's just conflicting personalities and different perceptions of the situation. When it's a whole lot of people then the odds are good that he's the ass he's being made out to be.

That said, I can't fathom why people suddenly decide that they can't watch his previous work because of the revelations. The work is still the work and its quality hasn't changed since Joss was outed as a jerk. I still love and frequently rewatch Firefly and Avengers and Joss being a cruel person doesn't change the quality of the shows. I'm sure if went back and rewatched Buffy I would probably still enjoy it. I worry that the feel of The Nevers is going to drastically change (if it comes back) without Joss.
It is not the craft of the work that changed, but the meaning takes on a new light. Stories bear meaning, and learning new information can really change the tenor of a story. Xander has not aged well, for example.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yup, Joss Whedon has shown himself to be a pretty crappy person. If it were only one or two people call him (or anyone) out, then maybe it's just conflicting personalities and different perceptions of the situation. When it's a whole lot of people then the odds are good that he's the ass he's being made out to be.

Iirc, Joss wasn't involved in the Nevers except the first couple episodes anyway

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I didn't mean to drive this discussion into the weeds regarding Roseanne. My point was that any attempts to boycott Joss Whedon's work will unavoidably affect others...others who might not deserve to be punished for Whedon's abuse. Thus, "boycott Joss Whedon" isn't an ideal solution.
I disagree. Strongly. TV and film are industries run on reputation. The point isn’t whether Whedon will suffer due to Buffy residuals drying up.
The point is that studios will give him less work, he won’t be invited to as many conventions, or speak at as many colleges, etc, if everyone knows that his reputation is toxic and repellant.

Remove ads