• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Joy. It's the Buddy's Girlfriend.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Baron Opal said:
When a gamer's wife showed interest in joining the table, I asked her what she would be most interested in playing:

Joan of Arc? (Paladin)
Circe? (Warlock)
Eowyn? (Fighter)
-----? (Someone else that tied into cleric)

Granted, she knew who these people were, but they gave her a good grasp for her first character. Giving her some kind of tie to books or movies give her some familiarity towards what she might enjoy.

(She picked Eowyn, by the way.)

My additions to this list:
Hermione Grainger (Evoker, w/ lots of skills in knowledge, dump necro and enchant)
Trinity, from the Matrix (Rogue) ("Dodge This!")
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Ranger, 1st favored enemy (undead))

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Fifth Element said:
What do they do with all their free time, then? Something productive, I suppose.
No, something wasteful: live infront of the TV
American Idol
My dad is better then your dad
Dancing with the stars

This is what my co-workers discuss ALL DAY LONG!!! I am so glad I shut off my cable a few years ago. I have my life back and I can write.

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Surgoshan said:
<snip>

Like many gamers' girlfriends, she'll quite likely end up still not being interested and eventually cash in her chips and take advantage of her boyfriend's hobby to have girls' nights out with her friends (yay dancing in a circle around your purses and shoes!).
<snip>.

Bolding mine.

Is that what they do on the girls' nights out? Okay, you've answered one of life's greatest mysteries.
Cause I was thinking....ticklefight in bra and panties, or gossippolloza.

dmccoy1693 said:
No, something wasteful: live infront of the TV
American Idol
My dad is better then your dad
Dancing with the stars

This is what my co-workers discuss ALL DAY LONG!!! I am so glad I shut off my cable a few years ago. I have my life back and I can write.
Youch. I could never shut off my cable (or satellite actually), but the writer's strike was torture.

doghead

thotd
general - joy

I've been in the OP's position, and the experience wasn't a good one. It makes me wish I had known of ENWorld at the time. Perhaps then, with the benefit of some advice, we might have been more successful in making the experience a positive one.

Talk to the new player. Talk to the current players. Start with positive attitude to the situation.

It may not work out. But you have given it every chance to do so.

Good luck.

doghead
aka thotd

Silver Moon

Adventurer
roguerouge said:
....The crucial difference is that my girlfriend actually wanted to play. Those married couples wanted to play. They actively participated in the character creation process. In short, they wanted to game because it would give them pleasure.....if someone is not interested in the character creation process, they don't want to game. They are there for another reason.
Roguerouge hit it right on the head, if they have no interest in the game and are just there for somebody else it isn't going to work. I'm having a similiar problem right now with games that I've been putting together for my kids, they have friends participating who are there to be with friends but aren't any good at role playing the game itself. I'm optimistically hoping they improve.

They key is to initiatate a discussion to phase them out of the game after they've played for long enough to realize that they personally aren't enjoying it and to get the person who brought them to the game to agree. And as for my Buddy's Girlfriend story (long but entertaining).....

......my weekly gaming group began in 1982 back when I was in college and my best buddy enthusiastically wanted to play. But the girl he was dating at the time would not allow him to do anything without her so he rolled her up a character so that she could play too. For the next six months she was the bump on the log, who had no interest in the game. She was also angry that one of his ex-girlfriends also played in the group, which was not helped by the fact that this same player helped with her character development too, making both of their playing characters sisters.

I iniitally thought that maybe she just didn't like the character he created for her and suggested to both us them that she roll one up a new one she might enjoy more. She did, a sneaky thief, and did enjoy playing more, using it to get revenge against a male player who she now hated worse than the ex-girlfriend. First she set up his playing character to get blamed for a theft that she did. Then two games later she killed his playing character in-game.

It turns out that the murder was her 'swan song' as she then convinced my buddy to do other things on game nights the next two weeks, during which the other characters moved on without them. But he still wanted to play and asked me if I could set up a pick-up game to bring their characters back into the game. None of my regular players were interested so my Buddy convinced two of his other semi-gaming friends to join them.

So myself and two other guys block out a night for the pick-up game. The couple are 45-minutes late in arriving and we promptly begin. She sits and says not one word while the four of us game for an hour or so. She then declares that the two them have to leave. This annoys not only myself and the other two friends as we have all been enjoying the game plus storywise they still aren't even close to catching up with the other game.

This conversation gets exacerbated when we discover the reason they have to go - she wants to watch a program on television (this was in pre-VCR days). I offer to let her watch it on a tv in our home but that is unacceptable to her. The other three of us turn to my buddy, as we had all changed our plans to play this game at his request. He says nothing, stands up, and leaves with her. Needless to say, the two of them don't return the following Sunday.

He and I stay buddies but the only games he comes to again for the next eighteen months are ones that take place when she is out of town. He starts his own gaming group which includes both guys who were at the pick-up game but she eventually sabatages that too and it folds. When he eventually breaks up with her he rejoins our game on a weekly basis, which lasts for two years until he starts dating (and later marries) a Fundamentalist who convinces him that D&D is evil.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Silver Moon said:
... which lasts for two years until he starts dating (and later marries) a Fundamentalist who convinces him that D&D is evil.

I really couldn't think of a response that did justice to this little gem ... *sigh*

doghead
aka thotd

deathdonut

First Post
Wow Silvermoon.

Granted I don't know the participants, but sounds like your buddy needed to invest in some +1 Testicles of Independence.

I really appreciate the story though, I'll definately be keeping an eye out for warning signs. Like if she has a small box of my friend's cajones in her purse.

RandallS

Explorer
deathdonut said:
I suppose I should be optimistic that she's even slightly interested in giving things another shot, but when I approached her for character ideas, I got nothing from her. I tried approaching it from the "What are some of your favorate movie/book characters?" and got nothing, I tried approaching it from the "What do you like or not like about these archtypes?" and got a little feedback, but nothing major.

You might try approaching it indirectly. Don't start with characters because she may start trying to think in terms of what little she knows about the game from her previous bad experience. Instead you might try to find out things like what movies/tv shows/books does she likes? Doe she follow any sport, if so which one(s)? Does she have strong views on some subject like politics or religion? All of these can be clues as to what type of character she might be interested in playing. Even if she all she likes is a soap opera or a sitcom, it could give you character ideas.

Another why to approach it could be to talk to her about the game she was in to find out what she thought about it. Was it just boring? If so, why was it boring. Her answers might give you some idea of what she is not interested in which could help discover a type of character she might be more interested in.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Silver Moon said:
Roguerouge hit it right on the head, if they have no interest in the game and are just there for somebody else it isn't going to work. I'm having a similiar problem right now with games that I've been putting together for my kids, they have friends participating who are there to be with friends but aren't any good at role playing the game itself. I'm optimistically hoping they improve.

They key is to initiatate a discussion to phase them out of the game after they've played for long enough to realize that they personally aren't enjoying it and to get the person who brought them to the game to agree. And as for my Buddy's Girlfriend story (long but entertaining).....

......my weekly gaming group began in 1982 back when I was in college and my best buddy enthusiastically wanted to play. But the girl he was dating at the time would not allow him to do anything without him so he rolled her up a character so that she could play too. For the next six months she was the bump on the log, who had no interest in the game. She was also angry that one of his ex-girlfriends also played in the group, which was not helped by the fact that this same player helped with her character development too, making both of their playing characters sisters.

I iniitally thought that maybe she just didn't like the character he created for her and suggested to both us them that she roll one up a new one she might enjoy more. She did, a sneaky thief, and did enjoy playing more, using it to get revenge against a male player who she now hated worse than the ex-girlfriend. First she set up his playing character to get blamed for a theft that she did. Then two games later she killed his playing character in-game.

It turns out that the murder was her 'swan song' as she then convinced my buddy to do other things on game nights the next two weeks, during which the other characters moved on without them. But he still wanted to play and asked me if I could set up a pick-up game to bring their characters back into the game. None of my regular players were interested so my Buddy convinced two of his other semi-gaming friends to join them.

So myself and two other guys block out a night for the pick-up game. The couple are 45-minutes late in arriving and we promptly begin. She sits and says not one word while the four of us game for an hour or so. She then declares that the two them have to leave. This annoys not only myself and the other two friends as we have all been enjoying the game plus storywise they still aren't even close to catching up with the other game.

This conversation gets exacerbated when we discover the reason they have to go - she wants to watch a program on television (this was in pre-VCR days). I offer to let her watch it on a tv in our home but that is unacceptable to her. The other three of us turn to my buddy, as we had all changed our plans to play this game at his request. He says nothing, stands up, and leaves with her. Needless to say, the two of them don't return the following Sunday.

He and I stay buddies but the only games he comes to again for the next eighteen months are ones that take place when she is out of town. He starts his own gaming group which includes both guys who were at the pick-up game but she eventually sabatages that too and it folds. When he eventually breaks up with her he rejoins our game on a weekly basis, which lasts for two years until he starts dating (and later marries) a Fundamentalist who convinces him that D&D is evil.
Silver Moon, I could easily believe that your friend is also a good friend of mine in southern NH. The only reason I know it isn't is that in 1982 we were not in college.

Remove ads