• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jump with attack?

Darklone

You could not jump down 5ft, attack and fall down farther without Spring Attack.

And there's nothing in the rules that excludes tumbling while jumping down.

Last edited:

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Darklone said:
And there's nothing in the rules that excludes tumbling while jumping down.
Not only that, the rules expressly allow it. You can tumble while jumping down to reduce the distance for the purposes of falling damage.

Bigwilly

First Post
Me too

Thanee said:
Without knowing if there actually are rules for this, I would treat it just like a charge, but would require a successful jump check to avoid falling and missing the attack as well as receiving full falling damage.

One of the plate armored dwarves in my campaign has a ring of jumping (+30) and uses the leap into melee technique a lot - and usually to great effect. I rule it as a charge (+2 to hit, -2AC), require a jump check (especially if it's a loooong leap) and usually require a 10' move to boot.

Bigwilly

Last edited:

Alpha Polaris

First Post
Darklone said:
You could not jump down 5ft, attack and fall down farther without Spring Attack.

Interesting... So a fighter without this feat would jump, attack, and stop right in mid-air, while one with the feat would continue to fall down ?

:D

PS: Obviously, I'm just kidding here...

Last edited:

Darklone

Alpha Polaris said:
Interesting... So a fighter without this feat would jump, attack, and stop right in mid-air, while one with the feat would continue to fall down ?

:D
No. A fighter without the feat would have to move till he's on the ground before he can attack. A dude with the feat can hop down, hit as fast as possible and jump on :)

cordell

First Post
Sorry, just a side note. I mentioned I would not allow a Tumble check. I was thinking only of allowing a Tumble check to avoid the AoO. "Falling straight down", IMO, shouldn't allow you to do much to avoid the AoO. BUT, probably if you read the RAW, it is allowed.

Kemrain

First Post
Gaiden said:
Another thing, you don't multiply your damage when doing a flying/jumping charge unless you have a specific feat that allows such. The only bonus damage you get is the falling damage you would take also being applied to what you land on. Normally this would be the ground and thus it would not matter.
What feat is this? Where can I find it?

- Kemrain the Featless.

Gaiden

Explorer
Kemrain said:
What feat is this? Where can I find it?

There are a few different ones. Going from memory, there was the original flying kick from OA that I think allowed double damage on a jumping charge (I believe the 3.5 version gives a bonus d12 dmg). There was mantis leap in S&F which I think allowed you to double your str mod. There was a feat in I want to say Unapproachable East that was specific for a race of uncivilized yeti like characters that I think allowed you to do double damage from a downward leap and get a free trip. I don't recall any others off the top of my head but I am sure there are some.

Remove ads