Just Curious ... Hom many come from AD&D?

Karl Green

First Post
I started with the oooooold D&D box set... I think 1979 or 80. I was playing for about a year before I got the set as a gift from one of the older kids I played with... cause I was poor ;)

NOW I did run a few games before that, without any rules... we just made stuff up.... heheh that was funny.

I should add that I had left D&D for a LONG time. I picked up some of the 2nd ed books but then hated it and just dropped them all. Then a guy I know at Microsoft (where I worked at the time) was play-testing D&D 3.5 and I thought "well sure..." and I really liked it... now I am back! But I don't play much 3.5 anymore. Mostly play M&M or Grim Tales or D20 Modern/Future

Whimsical

Explorer
I played 1st ed AD&D in high school and in college but the best game I played at this time was with GURPS Fantasy. AD&D 2nd ed. came out when I started to seriously game and played regularly for the next 10 years, although after the first three years I really wanted to play something else and was desprately looking to play Champions or GURPS, which I did in the last couple of years before D&D 3e was released. Although I was a master with 2nd ed. rules, I did not like or respect the rules design, and the last 2nd ed. D&D game I played I just could not decide on what race/class to play. So I built my character on a random miniature that a player handed to me (which led to the funnest character I have ever played, but that is a different story.) Boy was I happy to see 3e! I was regularly reading Eric Noah's website which collected any officially leaked 3e information before it was released and I was wishing that I was a playtester for this. But when I got my 3e books at my first GenCon, I rolled a "1" on my save vs. 3e and have been heavily playing it since then.

I'm single with no kids, which leaves me lots of time to play.

Mon: "Train Game" night, where we play one of Mayfair's "crayon rails" boardgames: Empire Builder, Eurorails, Iron Dragon, Lunar Rails, Russian Rails, Nippon Rails, British Rails.
Wed: Was playing a 12th level human male bard/rogue in a D&D homebrew; will be playing a 1st level human male warlock in an Eberron game that is starting up this Wednesday.
Fri: Was playing a 5th level human female Mageblade in an Arcana Evolved game that TPKd (Total Party Kill: every PC died except one); will be playing male Mojh Akashic/Magister the next Friday I play.
Sat: Playing a powerful shapechanging mass adjusting superbeing in an Aberant game.
Sun: Playing a 9th level female dwarven Barbarian(whirling frenzy)/Spirit Shaman/Earth Dreamer in a D&D homebrew.

And this weekend I'm going to a mini gaming con. :)

Gaming is my primary social facilitator, and I intentionally use it for that. Each of my games is with a different group of gamers, some of which I have been friends with for 15 years. I don't drink and I dislike bars or dance clubs. I'm not religious so I don't have a fellowship with church members. I don't watch sports at all which cuts me from yet another social venue to possibly connect with my fellow human. So...gaming it is! Which has brought to me very satisfying social connections, experiences, and friendships.

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
1978 or so for me (blue box). Been gaming for a while, but like Karl I didn't do any D&D for a long spell in the middle. I was pretty much all GURPS and Hero for the entire 90s. Fortunately I missed out on 3.0 and started back with 3.5 (so I didn't have to get mad about the "upgrade" costs).

I started gaming around 1986 with the basic red boxed set for OD&D. Moved up steadily through the editions, though I got out of the hobby towards the end of 2nd edition. Got back into it in 2001 with 3e. Now I'm moving on again, this time to Castles & Crusades.

As to fitting in time to game, it's certainly tough. What works for our group is to have a set day and time scheduled, and do our best to stick to that timeframe. We don't always, but most of the time, if it's Sunday afternoon, we know we'll be gaming and will do our best to keep that timeslot open.

Started around 1980 or so with one of the boxed sets. I didn't really take to it then, and I don't even remember which version of the game we played. My friend was really trying hard to run this adventure, while I was more interested in playing with his complete collection of Kenner Star Wars figures and action sets. In particular, I remember him trying to run a combat while I was trying to do something with the big 4-story Death Star action set.

A couple of years later, I played a bit with 1st edition AD&D, and although that sadly didn't go very far, I got a much better idea of what the game could be like. It wasn't until about 1985 or 1986 that I really started playing more for real with some friends, including other TSR games like Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Top Secret, etc.

I was early on disillusioned by D&D itself-- it was a combination of the folks I played with and the rules themselves, I think, and I dropped D&D before 2e even came out. I did play a bit of Traveller, Top Secret and Werewolf during the 90s, and had developed into one of those latte set gamers you might encounter at rpg.net even today who disparage D&D, but in 2000 when 3e started rolling out the doors of the printers, I was quite impressed. When the d20 rendition of Call of Cthulhu was actually extremely well done, I decided that I didn't really have any need to learn other systems anymore; d20, with some subtle variations in rules at times, can do anything I need it to for roleplaying. I don't really have any plans to run or play any other system.

I've come a bit full circle again -- in many ways, I'm frustrated with the D&Disms again, and I'm running a d20 fantasy game that has many extreme variations in rules and flavor from D&D while playing in a d20 Modern game

Patman21967

First Post
Jeez, I think it was 1978, I was 12. I was living in a small town, McAllen Texas, when a friend and I stumbled upon a store there called "The Dungeon". The guys were all older, but let us watch a session. The next Saturday afternoon, I made up my first character for Empire of the Petal Throne. That led to gaming until I moved to Delaware with my folks in the summer of 84. Found a place in Newark Delaware called the Days of Knights (www.daysofkinghts.com) and am still great friends with the owners and their families to this day. I game with guys I met in 1986, Dave, John and Mike, and we game every Sunday night now. Used to be, when we were younger, we would game 3 nights week, for about 8 hours a sitting, with groups of 8-9 players at times, at our various apartments or dorms. Now it is Myself, Mike, John and his fiance Monica, and Dave, playing at Daves place Sundays from 6-11. I took hiatus' on occasion, but the thing about us is, no matter what, you are always welcome back.

Check out www.daysofknights.com for info on the store, and look Wilmark Dynastys upcoming LARP invitational, entitled Machiavellis Last Gasp

Patman21967

First Post
We did spend large majorities of time on other games, most prominently among them, the greatest game ever, RuneQuest II. Have a signed Greg Stafford rulebook

Psion

Adventurer
I'm sure there is a poll or two someone could dig up, but in the meantime:

Started with the blue boxed set, circa 79. Went to 1e->2e->3e (every step a step forward, naturally ;) ), and caught lots of other games along the way...

Remove ads