• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just finished the Player Section

SeaJay

Love, Respect, Understanding
I've just finished reading most of the player section. I didn't go through all the feats and spells, but I did go through all the skills. I figured we could read up on feats and spells as and when they come up.

My question, seeing as all the adventure creation work has been done for me in 'Kingmaker', is there anything in the GM section that I need to read through, or can I now start reading 'Kingmaker', and dip into the GM section as and when needed? In other words, is there anything essential game mechanic wise I need to read from the GM Guide?

Reynard

Legend
How familiar are you with roleplaying games in general and PF/3.5 D&D in particular? I would definitely read through the combat and exploration rules, and then start reading KM with both the bestiary and core book close at hand.

SeaJay

I've been involved in roleplaying for 30 years. Mostly as a D/GM. I've not gotten that much experience with Pathfinder/3.X though. None as a DM, a bit as a player.

Dark Mistress

First Post
I would at least read the combat section. Since knowing it well is very important to having a smooth running game. The rest you could likely read up as needed. Though i would read them in advance before running. For example if you end up with a wizard then read up on all the spells she learns before running.

SeaJay

Yes I've read exploration and combat, they were in the players' section of the book. I was asking about the GM's section of the book. From page 396 onward.

You can easily get away with skipping everything regarding building adventures, placing treasure, and probably awarding experience.

When you get to the magic item section, read the first blurb for each kind of magic item as well as the introduction for magic items. These rules will explain the mechanics for use of magic items, both you and your players will need basic familiarity with these rules. You can skip the individual item descriptions though, just read them on a case by case basis.

Read the section on afflictions. Specifically how things like poison work. Again, you don't have to worry about the individual descriptions, just the base mechanics. Curses, diseases, insanity and addictions are all more rare, you may get away without these, but poison comes up fairly often.

That should give you the basics you need. The rest can be referenced at need.

SeaJay

You can easily get away with skipping everything regarding building adventures, placing treasure, and probably awarding experience.

When you get to the magic item section, read the first blurb for each kind of magic item as well as the introduction for magic items. These rules will explain the mechanics for use of magic items, both you and your players will need basic familiarity with these rules. You can skip the individual item descriptions though, just read them on a case by case basis.

Read the section on afflictions. Specifically how things like poison work. Again, you don't have to worry about the individual descriptions, just the base mechanics. Curses, diseases, insanity and addictions are all more rare, you may get away without these, but poison comes up fairly often.

That should give you the basics you need. The rest can be referenced at need.
Thank you very much for the advice

Remove ads