• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just watched Minority Report

Quinn

First Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah...I'm a little late in watching this one. I decided to wait til it came out on HBO, and since I hadn't heard too many folks recommending it, it slipped off my radar.

I'm still buzzing from it! What an awesome flick! Probably one of the best combinations of sci-fi, action, and mystery that I've seen. I don't think I can recommend this one enough.

Tanager

Read the short story, the film simply pales in comparison.

TO be fair, the movie *isn't* that bad, it just suffer from Spielbergitis, ie. a nice cuddly feel good ending.

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
I, too, waited to see this film until I rented it on DVD, I immedialty went out and bought it. Truly one of the best sci-fi movies to come out of hollywood in a long while.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Actually, Tanager, it wasn't always so cuddly. In the first draft of the ending narration, after Tom Cruise's voice-over goes on about the abolition of Precrime, and how the precogs got freedom, etc, the last line, before credits rolled, was "In Washington DC there were 600 murders the next year," or something to that effect. I guess Spielberg chickened out of the ambiguity.

Demiurge out.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Yes, a good movie. Between Minority Report and Vanilla Sky, Tom Cruise has seen fit to start doing decent scifi. Now, let's see if he can do decent historical Japan in The Last Samurai.

dravot

First Post
While I enjoyed the sci-fi aspects of the movie (the various technologies and their impact upon society), the plot left a lot to be desired.

Lets see...cop finds something weird, mentions it to his superior, and suddenly finds himself fleeing for his life and/or being framed for a crime he didn't commit. :rolleyes:

Enchantress2

First Post
dravot said:
While I enjoyed the sci-fi aspects of the movie (the various technologies and their impact upon society), the plot left a lot to be desired.

Lets see...cop finds something weird, mentions it to his superior, and suddenly finds himself fleeing for his life and/or being framed for a crime he didn't commit. :rolleyes:

But he was going to commit it. It even happened. I think your missing the whole point of the story. I thought the plot was great.

Gizzard

First Post
I thought the plot was great.

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

Can there even be spoilers for a film as old as Minority Report? Well, just in case. ;-) Anyway, there were a couple of things I found very odd and disjointed. Like the Doctor who fixes Toms eyes. Did that scene go anywhere at all? "I've harbored a burning resentment for years and now I am going to let it all out by making you eat a moldy sandwich!" WTF? PKD does reality-bending like no one else, and this looked like it was going to cause a classic PKD kink in reality, but then it fizzled out. The same with Cruise's addiction to some sort of drug, which is generally glossed over. Again, a reason why the reality we see might be skewed, but a reason that's never followed up. I can't believe that Spielberg was being too subtle for me, so I just walked away from the film confused by what looked like loose ends from an earlier draft of the script. ;-)

Overall its pretty good, but not without its flaws. Certainly in a summer blockbuster world where Pirates is popular because it is the least stupid of all the movies, Minority Report would reign as uncontested best movie. But it wasn't the best movie of last year, it wasn't even the best SciFi/Fantasy movie. Harsh standards I suppose.

Remove ads