• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keen scimitar

G.A. Donis

First Post
Seems like I've seen this before, buy I couldn't find it. A keen scimitar being used by someone with improved critical has a threat range of 13-20? That seems out of whack. I don't have access to any of my books right now, but I would have thought it was more like 15-20?

Ywain

First Post
Actually, it's worse than you think. ;) The range would be 12-20.

Base: 18-20 (3 units)
Keen: 15-20 (6 units)
Imp. Cr.: 12-20 (9 units)

It isn't really unbalanced. The scimitar (and rapier) only do d6 damage so this only helps to level the playing field with the longsword or the bastard sword. And it takes a feat and a magical ability to pull off. Whereas the guy with the longsword can improve his weapon in other ways.

skunian

First Post
Actually it's 12-20 for a Keen/improved crit scimitar. 18-20 is the base, Keen and Imp Crit improves the threat range by the same amout as the base (in this case 3 (18,19,20)) So with just Imp Crit it would become 3 better for 15-20 then with Keen 3 more better for 12-20.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Ywain said:
The scimitar (and rapier)...*snip*

Okay, I thought that a rapier couldn't be made Keen because its a piercing weapon, not a slashing weapon?! Help please?

p.s. Sorry for the highjack, but as the original question has been answered already I trust it's not too painful.

Sir Pentor

First Post
keen scimitars and abuse

The real abuse starts when a character takes 7 levels of Weapon Master from Sword and Fist, gaining the Ki Critical. Now they crit on a 10 and Higher:
18-20 base (3 slots)
15-20 with keen (6 slots)
12-20 with improved crit (9 slots)
10-20 with Ki Crit (11 slots)

As others have said, this isn't that bad since it only does 1d6 damage.

However, since you can't have this until 12th level, let's consider a a 15th level character (starting gold 200,000). He'd get a scimitar, +1, sure striking (S&F, +1 equiv., treat as +5 for purposes of damage reduction), keen (+1 equiv.), vorpal (+5 equiv.) for a total of +8, which costs 128,00gp, giving plenty of money for some magic armor and stuff like that.

Now he straight-up kills any humanoid he hits (assuming he needs a 10 or higher to hit). It is seriously whacked out.

That said, if one of my players did this, they'd run into an aweful lot of undead:)

Voadam

Legend
good enchantments for keen scimitar

If vorpal gets banned then go with burst weapons, more crit range means more times the burst comes into effect.

Orco42

First Post
If your DM doest have the errata take the weapon master with keen vorpal bladed gauntlets. One level of ranger for 2 weapon fighting, improved 2 weapon fighting and greater 2 weapon fighting.

7+ Critical and 8 attacks is sweet.

All hail Mr. Ginsu.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads