Keep on the Shadowfell character sheet scans

jeffhartsell

First Post
Gorrstagg said:
Well if that's the method, and I don't like it at all. Not one bit.

But if that is.. the Dragonborn and Halfling both are 32. The Dwarf & Half-elf are 31's, and the human wizard is only 29.

Either way.. no matter the method of swinging it. Those numbers don't add up.

And seriously if that's the point buy method, I'm not liking it at all. It's progression isn't logical. And a higher number isn't weighted any more than less. A 1 is a 1, a 4 is a 4. However you achieve that 4, it costs you some place else.

The Half-elf stats pre-racial bonus would be:
13, 12, 11, 10, 16 , 14: which is 5+4+3+2+11+7=32

It is just that the half-elf did not optimize stats. It has a bonus in CON and CHA.

Lurker59 said:
All the characters seem to have been created from a 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10 point array. If added up using the old method all five are 30 points, as are 3 of the pre-gens from the XP event.
100% this. The characters are all made with this array. Whether the point buy is the same as 3e (IMO it will be:)) is moot as the pregens all use an array rather than point buy.

Gorrstagg

First Post
Actually using the humans as only getting a single +2 to a stat.

And using the 1 for 1 point buy method at least up to 16. They work out to 28 point buys.

Just because I can extrapolate it and manipulate the math to support my 28 point buy method. It doesn't mean it's right, or that it really is 1 for 1 point buy.

But consider they were trying to get rid of things that slowed down fun. And if it's just as simple as one for one. You still end up with a broad suite of abilities.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Voss said:
Yes. Thank you for the insight. However, the third level power is just as weak, and its largely a waste on minions since most of the effect doesn't even appply.

Okay, if you say so. Seems pretty good to me in practice.

I've found that even things like the Str damage from Cleave or Reaping Strike (gonna be usually 2-4 damage, pretty small) actually adds up pretty quickly in play. As does the wizard's spells.

And wiping out minions is fun and a good idea, as their little ping damage adds up quickly too.

But to each his own.

Fitz

FadedC

First Post
Voss said:
Yes. Thank you for the insight. However, the third level power is just as weak, and its largely a waste on minions since most of the effect doesn't even appply.

And if the DM is constantly swarming the party with hordes of minions, that might matter. However, if its just a few, it doesn't matter that much. In that case just picking up a 1/encounter wizard blast with the multiclassing feats solves that problem. Or just being a dragonborn. Even constant swarms can be taken care of fairly easily with a few blasts picked up as feats.

Well burning hands does an average of 11 damage at lvl 1 to multiple targets. That's about a third of their hit points.....nothing to sneeze at. Assuming their opponents make all their saves and the wizard picks up a +1 wand, the lvl 3 power does an average of 14.5 damage to a fairly large area. Quite often it will be doing 19.5 or 24.5. Again 14.5 works out to about a third of the hit points of a lvl 3. And of course acid arrow knocks off about half their hit points, or potentially quite a bit more on failed saves.

None of that seems too shabby to me. Doing 10 damage to 3 enemies is often better then doing 15 to 1. Not like any class can really 1 shot an equal level foe.

jeffhartsell

First Post
mach1.9pants said:
100% this. The characters are all made with this array. Whether the point buy is the same as 3e (IMO it will be:)) is moot as the pregens all use an array rather than point buy.

Agree that the pregens use that array. And IMO the point-buy costs are not really that important because as the GM I can give players whatever points I want to create a specific feel for the start of the campaign.

I'm more concerned about the half-elf racials :D

Vaeron

Explorer
Is it just me, or is the human wizard almost identical to the tiefling wizard? If wizards have so few spell options they're all going to be the same, that's a problem. His at-wills are the same, his dailys are the same. Only his encounter power is different, plus an extra Ray of Frost for being a human I guess. And that only highlights this possible problem - Ray of Frost is a spell we've seen in previous release materials. This is creating the possibility in my mind that these spells are the only ones there are. If so - yikes.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but I find the idea of every wizard having such a minimal amount of spells to pick from that they're all the same to be troublesome. Even sorcerers had more variety than that with their own limited number of spells known.

Not jumping to conclusions, just it raises a warning flag.

Alikar

First Post
Vaeron said:
I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but I find the idea of every wizard having such a minimal amount of spells to pick from that they're all the same to be troublesome. Even sorcerers had more variety than that with their own limited number of spells known.

Not jumping to conclusions, just it raises a warning flag.

This is also a fear of mine, that wizards has gone for balance instead of fluff.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Vaeron said:
Is it just me, or is the human wizard almost identical to the tiefling wizard? If wizards have so few spell options they're all going to be the same, that's a problem.

I think that's just a matter of either:

1) Those picks are good options, or at least, the obvious ones
2) They don't want to reveal too much.

They've said that there are about 8 choices (which isn't really a lot when you pick 3)

Are the other options any good? I dunno, but there will be OTHER choices. And of course, we will see the Arcane Powers book soon enough.

Fitz

Remove ads