Keep on the Shadowfell preview

Rechan

Adventurer
I like that you can just end your turn adjacent to it. So you can challenge a baddie, but still hack at a minion adjacent to him, and then remain beside him for your turn. So that a paladin doesn't have to attack one guy the entire fight.

hong

WotC's bitch
Derren said:
Its a rather bad fix. This way its still possible for the paladin to stay back and pelt the enemy with ranged attacks while also dealing automatic damage to it.
It's a really good fix. This lets the paladin stay back and pelt the enemy with ranged attacks while still dealing automatic damage.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I guess it is useless to remind people to use spoiler tags on the critters.

Yes, the stated powers for both monsters are still there.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
Immediate reactions occur after the action that triggered them, not after the whole turn.

True, but if the paladins movement to an adjacent square ends his turn, then technically the kobold should stay marked since it can't shift until the paladins movement and thus the paladin's turn is finished.

Derren

Hero
hong said:
It's a really good fix.

Battle Tactic 101: The defender must be as far away from the enemy as possible...

Care to explain why you think that this is a good fix Hong? Because many people complained that the "run away" paladin was not very defenderish and the new rules don't fix that and it is still easily exploited by having a second defender in the group.

Kordeth

First Post
Sojorn said:
Charge.

The shift comes after and by then you've attacked.

Edit: Of course now Ari has me doubting that. Is charge one action or two?

Charge is one action, as I understand it--this should work.

I love emergent tactics!

Gargazon

First Post
Dragonblade said:
True, but if the paladins movement to an adjacent square ends his turn, then technically the kobold should stay marked since it can't shift until the paladins movement and thus the paladin's turn is finished.

I believe ending a turn would count as a seperate action to moving. It just feels wrong to go 'I'm moving AND ending my turn! You can't shift and spoil my marking!'

eleran

First Post
Derren said:
Its a rather bad fix. This way its still possible for the paladin to stay back and pelt the enemy with ranged attacks while also dealing automatic damage to it.

It also allows the Paladin not to be gimped by being cutoff from meleeing with an opponent and only able to use ranged weapons, or maybe for that rare elven paladin who likes to use bows.

Seems the Gods are looking out for their Paladins as long as they ENGAGE the enemy. That is their job after all. Of course, if they had their druthers they would be toe to toe, but life sometimes throws us lemons and we have to make succotash when that happens.

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
Moving away from the crunch for a few moments, what are your impressions of the adventure? Does it seem like it would be fun to play? Is it primarily dungeon-crawling or is there some RPG challenges mixed in there as well? Are there enough rules to be able to advance the pregens through to level 3 without the core books?

Remove ads