Kill raise dead... dead!

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I rarely saw Raise Dead in the games I played, so it doesn't matter much to me. But if it is a GM fiat only, the only ones you can be sure will be raised are his favorite villians. (And when I kill a villian, I want him to stay dead!)

Halivar

First Post
Since 4E launched, we have only used Raise Dead once: on a plot-critical NPC. Maybe it's the mentality of "well, if my character died, he was too weak to begin with."

The main question for me is, if it's possible, what keeps monarchs from living forever (or at least living until they die of old age, if that's a limit)?

mmadsen

First Post
I think it's about time the era of quick, painless resurrection spells came to an end.
I think most people agree that quick, painless resurrection cheapens death and implies some odd in-game consequences for the world at large.

On the other hand, most people don't want the epic tale to end because Frodo made a bad roll.

I think the problem, really, is one of terminology. If we relabel D&D's notion of dead to mortally wounded (or mostly dead), and we relabel raise dead to cure mortal wounds, the problem goes away.

ferratus

Adventurer
I think most people agree that quick, painless resurrection cheapens death and implies some odd in-game consequences for the world at large.

On the other hand, most people don't want the epic tale to end because Frodo made a bad roll.

I think the problem, really, is one of terminology. If we relabel D&D's notion of dead to mortally wounded (or mostly dead), and we relabel raise dead to cure mortal wounds, the problem goes away.

Actually, that would solve all my problems with save or die.... as long as we could cure mortal wounds at low levels like Frodo at weathertop/rivendell.

But... those that like save or die won't accept it anything less than instant death at one roll of the die.

nnms

First Post

As long as you still have dead as a state a character can be in. If you can only ever get mortally wounded no matter what, so that cure mortal wounds always makes sense, then you're back to square one, but with the added problem of sharp blades, monstrous claws, fireballs and disintegration rays that can't actually kill anyone.

Ichneumon

First Post
Raise dead should be there for those who can pay the price.

For those who can't, there should be returning as a revenant, a reincarnation roll, utilizing a preserved clone you had the town necromancer keep aside for you, returning as your sister, returning as your father, or just letting your spirit take over the town drunk.

Herschel

Adventurer
I'd love to see raise dead become a DM-fiat-only plot-device.

When has it not been? A DM is free to allow or disallow any elements he/she wants. I'll use Vryloka and Revenants at times as a re-animate/re-incarnate or I may even pull out the 1E reincarnate table if it makes fun sense.

mmadsen

First Post
As long as you still have dead as a state a character can be in. If you can only ever get mortally wounded no matter what, so that cure mortal wounds always makes sense, then you're back to square one, but with the added problem of sharp blades, monstrous claws, fireballs and disintegration rays that can't actually kill anyone.
Well, sure, you'd need a dead state, at least in theory, but most situations that currently kill an important character could instead mortally wound him -- and you'd have to make sure no monsters ate your helpless friend before you got him back to safety.

Disintegration, decapitation, etc. would be exceptional in actually killing someone outright.

buddhafrog

First Post
Completely disagree with the OP. This is the type of rule that shouldn't be a hard rule either way. And I say this as someone who has NEVER used raise dead in my games - but it doesn't hurt my game to have it be an option in other games. I think D&D 5e will be the type of game that has less absolutes and more flexibility. It should work for everyone.

Remove ads